Bike helmet for kayaking? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2014   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Bike helmet for kayaking?

I am wanting to get a full face helmet for paddling more creek type rivers. I have lots of hair (big head too I think) and have had trouble finding a helmet that is big enough. This one fits but I am not sure if it would be suitable. Ideas? Click for link:
veggie

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have been using the European Ski Helmets kayaking for years with no problems.

The standards for Ski helmets over there are much higher than our boating standards.

Also sizes for big heads - no problem.

Several good brands just do a duckduckgo search.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That Veggie helmet looks interesting, one word of caution is that bike helmets are not generally engineered to withstand multiple impacts where whitewater and high quality ski helmets are...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have the opposite problem....very small head. Even a small WRSI with outfitting didn't fit me very well & was uncomfortable. I came across a Nutcase BMX helmet that I love. Fits great & very comfy. But, I'm a rafter, not a kayaker, so not quite as many head bonk opportunities. I see that Nutcase makes water helmets now. Biggest difference I can see is EVA foam on the water helmet, and EPS on the BMX. So it's probably what lmyers said above....multiple hit protection. The thing I love about my Nutcase is the back band dial adjustment to get a perfect fit. I'm not sure their water helmets have this adjuster? I usually went without a helmet while rafting, but year before last I got bounced around on the MF and smacked my head on my frame/oar tower/something hard??? I got the Nutcase last season, and now wear it in all the rapids. My thought is that the best helmet for me is the one I'll actually wear. So I figure the BMX is better than nothing on my raft.
Good luck with your search. I'm sure someone will point you to a good helmet.
Old 01-05-2014   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Cataraftgirl has got a point. If the helmet ain't comfortable, you ain't gonna wear it. Something is better than nothing. Get into something comfortable, wear it and good boating!
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #6

bc, CA
Good news! Found someone who had a Shred Ready full face for me to try on and it fits, so I ordered one. I got a good price...the only thing is that it is grey. Gleek!! Any ideas how to brighten it up. Kinda a girl thing.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I use a full face kayak helmet to ski....

Broke my old one and needed a new one, that summer happened to win one in a kayak thing and so I tried it and loved it. Been happy for three years since, bounced it off some rocks, trwes, etc in various crashes and its responded nicely.
Old 01-05-2014   #8

Rexburg, Idaho
I was about to say take a look at the Shred Ready FF's... I have a large dome too, and bought a Sweet Rocker FF online but ended up returning it because it was too small. I found out the SR's fit my enormous head very well, so I grabbed one of those. Stickers should brighten up the dull gray for you, too. And bike helmets are a bad idea for kayaking... better than nothing for sure, but they are simply not made for the kind and number of hits you would take with your head bouncing along the bottom of a creek/river.
Lando_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando_Commando View Post
I was about to say take a look at the Shred Ready FF's... I have a large dome too, and bought a Sweet Rocker FF online but ended up returning it because it was too small. I found out the SR's fit my enormous head very well, so I grabbed one of those. Stickers should brighten up the dull gray for you, too. And bike helmets are a bad idea for kayaking... better than nothing for sure, but they are simply not made for the kind and number of hits you would take with your head bouncing along the bottom of a creek/river.
I'll second the bike helmet advice for kayaking. I use mine on a raft. Hopefully I won't take multiple hits on one trip. Better than what I was doing.....baseball cap. Here's the Nutcase link, in case someone's looking for a helmet with fun graphics.
http://nutcasehelmets.com/helmets/water/

Brenda - Glad you found a good helmet. There are a lot of interesting colors and patterns of duct tape that you could do a cool pattern with, or maybe some spray paint artwork??? Maybe find someone who does custom stickers?
Old 01-05-2014   #10

cedar city, Utah
I would recommend AGAINST the use of biking helmets for rafting and kayaking. Regular bike helmets, unlike the one linked by the OP, do not cover the lower head and upper neck. This is a major limitation considering the recommended defensive swimming posture in whitewater. During a swim it is the back of the head and neck that are most vulnerable to traumatic injury from boulders and rocks.

A better option would be a skateboarding helmet. Some bike helmets have similar shaping and padding but its not the most common design.

Most non-whitewater helmets also lack ear and side coverage. This seems to be a bigger deal for rowing than kayaking considering the damage a popped oar can do to the skull.

Just a few thoughts. Anything is better than nothing. But if you can find a specially designed whitewater helmet go with it. We only get one head, brain and spine in life....might at well protect it as well as possible. I teach adaptive ski lessons and I have seen firsthand how inappropriate gear can alter ones life forever.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking