Big Diameter Cataraft Tubes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Big Diameter Cataraft Tubes?

I was about ready to buy some Aire Jaguarundi tubes, but my deal fell through. Those are 16' 24" diameter tubes with a decent amount of rocker. But what would I lose performance wise if I got some 16' 27" diameter tubes that have similar rocker?

I know I would gain the ability to carry more of a load with the same displacement. I would assume if I had 1200 pounds of gear and people, that the larger diameter tubes would be better than the smaller tubes. But what if I had only 400 pounds of gear and people down something with smaller water like the Ark at 1000 CFS?

Thanks for the knowledge.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010   #2

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Bigger Tubes=longer oars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I was about ready to buy some Aire Jaguarundi tubes, but my deal fell through. Those are 16' 24" diameter tubes with a decent amount of rocker. But what would I lose performance wise if I got some 16' 27" diameter tubes that have similar rocker?

I know I would gain the ability to carry more of a load with the same displacement. I would assume if I had 1200 pounds of gear and people, that the larger diameter tubes would be better than the smaller tubes. But what if I had only 400 pounds of gear and people down something with smaller water like the Ark at 1000 CFS?

Thanks for the knowledge.
I have a aire jag and use 10' oars-I like the extra reach of depth if I'm in heavy water and don't mind them on more techy rivers like the piedra or salt at low water. With a jag you could go with 9' oars as I've known some folks to do. With a 27" tube (jacks?), a 10' oar is needed-unless you like pushing on handles that are above your head-or standing up. Depending on your frame, you'll also be wider. This could help for straddling things, or could hinder for fitting through slots. If bigger water is your main game, the 27s would be good, but for a more versatile cat, the 24s might be better. An aire jag can be used on everything from smaller technical rivers to big water Grand and Cataract type rivers with a little compromise. IMO, a bigger tube starts to get kinda specialized.

*Hope that helps-FB
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #3
Kodiakrider

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I love my large diameter tubes. I have had it for one season and my 22" round tubes are a distant memory. My beer capacity is way up. I paddled the Royal Gorge with a stocked 150qt. Yeti coller last season with my NRS Kodiak tubes which are 16'x 28" and made it fine. The flow was about 950 CFS and was a little boney but it ended with smiles on our faces. I also took the right side of skull in october with a pasenger on the front and about 1800 to 2000 Lbs total and punched through with eaze. As of yet I haven't got a single complaint except for the limitations on small rivers (my boat is 8' wide + oars) but hey lets face it, you have to make some sacrifices for 300 qts. of beer capacity
terrystandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010   #4

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrystandlee View Post
I love my large diameter tubes. I have had it for one season and my 22" round tubes are a distant memory. My beer capacity is way up. I paddled the Royal Gorge with a stocked 150qt. Yeti coller last season with my NRS Kodiak tubes which are 16'x 28" and made it fine. The flow was about 950 CFS and was a little boney but it ended with smiles on our faces. I also took the right side of skull in october with a pasenger on the front and about 1800 to 2000 Lbs total and punched through with eaze. As of yet I haven't got a single complaint except for the limitations on small rivers (my boat is 8' wide + oars) but hey lets face it, you have to make some sacrifices for 300 qts. of beer capacity
Hum, 300 quarts of beer. Want the number to AA?
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have a 14ft aire lion with 24in tubes I love the big tubes. In less water you float higher. I have run the Poudre at 2.0/ pumphouse at 600 and the eagle as low as 700. The more weight capacity the higher you will ride empty.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #6

Park City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecosnowboarder View Post
I have a 14ft aire lion with 24in tubes I love the big tubes. In less water you float higher. I have run the Poudre at 2.0/ pumphouse at 600 and the eagle as low as 700. The more weight capacity the higher you will ride empty.

Does anyone make a non-custom 14' tube that has a diameter larger than 25"? All I know is the NRS River that has 25" tubes.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #7

San Juans, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
Does anyone make a non-custom 14' tube that has a diameter larger than 25"? All I know is the NRS River that has 25" tubes.

Jack's Plastic - actually they would be custom, but most his boats are, but aren't as expensive as other custom boats.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #8
Kodiakrider

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
[Hum, 300 quarts of beer. Want the number to AA?]

No one likes a quitter Gary
terrystandlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft