best whitewater kayak for me? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2009   #1

Cottontown, Tennessee
best whitewater kayak for me?

Hey everybody. I've always wanted to get into whitewater kayaking and am now lookin' to buy my fist kayak. I'm 5'5" and weigh about 136 lbs. What would be a good river runner for a beginner my size? Sorry I know you probably get questions like this all the time, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Namaste!

RaleighB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
2fun?
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
On the plus side you are of a size that you can fit into almost any boat. On the negative make sure the boat you end up with you can tote around.

Given your stature, go for a Liquid Logic, Dagger, or Jackson boats. Pyrahna are great, I own one, but are made of a material that is much heavier than these others. A boat you can't easily carry can be a problem once you need to strap it to your rack or drag to the put in.

Now consider the type of boating you want to do? Run Class II-III? Play boat? Park and play?
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
first question. do you want to surf or run rivers like stated. if you want to run rivers go witha longer runner, aka mamba, deisel, hero, remix,. if you want to surf go with a shorter boat. like the fun, crossriver, fuse, recoil. depending on what you plan on doing or what you have close by should help determine your boat. no need for a surfing fun if you only want to run.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #5

Idledale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Dagger GT. I'm 5'6" and 120 and it is a great river runner. I did not like the Mamba. Find boats/demos and try them! Have fun!
lindazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
I'm pretty much the exact same size as you and am in a Dagger KingPin 6.2. You'd be on the lower end of it in terms of play boating, but I love using it as a river runner. It is still a play boat, so keep that in mind since you are a beginner. I love it though!

Good luck.
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
My wife and I just started and the questions I wish the guy that sold us the kayaks would have asked are what type of whitewater are you interested in and how fast do you pick up on new sports. I got a LL Hoss and it’s a good intro boat accept I’m at the top of the weight range so it’s really tippy, my wife got the Wavesport EZG 42 and it’s more of a play boat then a river runner. Good boats, and lots of fun now that we’re getting the hang of it, but now that I’ve been on the river I wish I would have gotten a creeker. They are easier to learn in and I think I’ll be more interested in creeking after I learn. So I would look at the different types of river running and watch video of each and figure out what you can see yourself doing.
Rschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #8

Cottontown, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaver View Post
Now consider the type of boating you want to do? Run Class II-III? Play boat? Park and play?
I'd like to be able to run class III, maybe even IV. I would like a playboat but, from what I've read, a river runner seems more practical for a beginner
Old 06-09-2009   #9

Cottontown, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaver View Post
I'd like to be able to run class III, maybe even IV. I would like a playboat but, from what I've read, a river runner seems more practical for a beginner

Namaste!
Old 06-10-2009   #10

Cottontown, Tennessee
What about a Dagger mamba 7.5? It sounds like it's a good all around kayak, which is what I'm interested in. I'd like to find a good kayak for runnin' rivers but also somethin' that gives me some room to get a bit more technical as I improve.

Tags
kayaking