Best Whitewater IKs for Gear Capacity - Mountain Buzz

Old 23 Hours Ago   #1

Best Whitewater IKs for Gear Capacity

We were about to buy a 13 ft raft with row frame with cooler and drybox, but I am now thinking of two duckies, which should have enough capacity to do multi days here in OR like the Rogue and Owyhee.

Any recommendations on which IKs both perform well and haul gear well? The Cronin has blunt ends, but there is so much rocker, I'm not sure they can haul any more than the pointy boats. The Tributary Tomcat Solo sounds like a good boat with a great price tag, but probably not much of a gear hauler.

Hoping to run III-IV, maybe the Illinois eventually, when we get better. While a light boat would be great, I'd rather have tough over light. I don't mind paying more for better boats either. It will still be cheaper than a raft.

Any suggestions?

infinitysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21 Hours Ago   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have a tomcat tandem, last year my GF and I hopped in it with her small dog and easily lashed on a cooler and enough gear for one night and paddled accross a small lake. That was definitely more gear then you'd want to take down a river, my point is you can fit a bunch of stuff in one. I think one person in a tandem would leave lots of room for gear. At 12'6" they are plenty stable as long as you keep them strait. If you want to run IV's I would consider thigh straps to keep you glued to the boat. Good luck with your search.
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Hours Ago   #3

Fort Collins
I have a tomcat tandem, lynx II and nrs outlaw solo. The tandems do well at hauling gear, but they are long and a bit barge like. The outlaws carry a dry bag in front, and a water jug in the back well, and maybe a little more. The floor on the outlaw is only 4" think, where the Aires are thicker, so I think the aire boat handle a load better. Also, I think that while the outlaws have lots of drain holes, they get covered by the floor, so they don't drain incredibly fast. So, with all that, and money not being an issue, I'd lean towards the lynx I. However, money has been an issue for me, so I have a few outlaws, and still like them. I think the nrs stars have replaced them. One other perk of the outlaws for me is that they are under 10' in length, which means they don't incur extra fees to paddle in Wyoming. But regarding bailing, I have started to consider if I can get flotation similar to the aire force or star viper and strap it into an outlaw to reduce the water that comes in.
Advertisement

Old 15 Hours Ago   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
I have hyside padiallac II and love it. Looking into the padaliaac 1. heavy boat, lots of gear space and very stable. The 2 is my go to
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #5

Englewood, Colorado
I have an Aire Lynx 1. I have it fitted with foot pegs and thigh straps, seems super stable to me in whitewater. I just yesterday got home from a 6 day trip on the Yampa/Green, it had room for everything. I was with a partner but I carried all the required gear (spare PFD/spare helmet/spare paddle/pin kit, etc etc), as well as my tent, sleeping bag, food for 6 days, etc.

That said, IMO the issue may not be the boat, but the perspective of the boater. I think some paddlers have the perspective of..."glamping"? Multiple coolers, bigger tents, lots of big dry bags, etc. If you're going to go multi-day in a solo IK, I think a better perspective is that of a backpacker: take only what you need (but of course enough spare stuff to get by) and pack efficiently, lightly. Just my opinion.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #6
ADVENTR

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pierce View Post
That said, IMO the issue may not be the boat, but the perspective of the boater. I think some paddlers have the perspective of..."glamping"? Multiple coolers, bigger tents, lots of big dry bags, etc. If you're going to go multi-day in a solo IK, I think a better perspective is that of a backpacker: take only what you need (but of course enough spare stuff to get by) and pack efficiently, lightly. Just my opinion.
Yes to this! I have an Tomcat Tandem that I use for multi-night trips, but I look at these trips as a more comfortable backpacking trip and bring mostly my backpacking gear to easily fit everything on the boat, plus a few extra luxury items since I don't actually have to carry everything in a pack.
Old 11 Hours Ago   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey, if your gonna go the single person small boat route, have you considered pack rafts? I was looking at Alpacka’s website the other day, and there pretty much inline with what your gonna pay for most duckies, plus you have the oversized stearn , which keeps you from being heavy aft, like you tend to be with a pointy ass ducky.
You also have the option of the zipper design, for the back of your boat, so you can open it up and pack gear inside the tubes. The material is tough, the boats are light, and you can buy either a self bailing design, or have a skirt like a kayak, if you think you’ll be running a lot of colder weather trips.

Just a thought, so threw it out there for you.
I like my big comfortable raft, but if I was buying a small boat to run stuff that my 11’er won’t make it down, I think I’d go pack raft.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #8

utah county, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
x2 on the hyside paddillac II. tough stable lots of carry capacity.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1968
I have a Sea Eagle 380x. Capacity about 700 lbs, not that I would want to carry that much in it. I do go out on 2-3 day trips completely self contained and can do longer trips with a water purification system and/or another boat (so that we both don't have to carry a stove, firepan, tent, etc.)
MaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #10

I have done a small handful of multi day trips, all of which were in a Tandem (~12’) with my partner. Difficulty below Class III. In this arrangement, we are able to fit the equivalent of 3 60L bags plus a few smaller ones. As a climber/ backpacker this is an excessive amount of gear and therefor equates to a high level of comfort. Now, if you’re going to bring a roll up table, cooler full of beer, dog etc, this may not work. I know you didn’t ask about the 2 people with gear in a tandem but I mention this to give an idea as to how spacious they are.

My partner and I still convinced our selves that our best set up is a tandem (paddled solo) and a single. Now that I have taken our new Star Outlaw tandem out by my self, I will say that it handles okay but you really have to be hauling a group worth of gear to need that space. I wish we had just gotten two solos.

Long story short, get a solos if you can go backpacker+ style. I’ve used the Tomcat, Sea Eagle 380x and Outlaw/Raven. My vote goes to Outlaw (solo or tandem) in the entry level price range. It’s durable and the drop stiched floor is awesome because you can set down a beer or stably stand up on it in easy water!
Googly is offline   Reply With Quote