Best wave to learn how to Surf - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-18-2015   #1

El Dorado Hills, California
Paddling Since: 2006
Best wave to learn how to Surf

Hi there, I have a Pyranha Varun and am very comfortable river running in it up to class 3+ and I want to become better at surfing. As of now I occasionally surf small catch on the fly waves. What is the best type of wave to learn how to surf really well and learn some easier tricks? Thanks!

EHowKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Both the Salida and BV parks have excellent waves to learn on. They are a bit shallow right now, but 300+ cfs above Buena Vista is enough for all the features at both parks to be viable and fun.

Generally speaking you will probably want to start on a glassy wave with a fairly deep trough, look for good eddy service and no major obstacles immediately downstream.

Sorry. Just noticed your in California.... I can't direct you to a certain spot with good features, but I think the second part of my comment pertains regardless of where you are.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #3

OTR, Colorado
Whichever is closest to you- go all the time and practice a lot!
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015   #4

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
what about for river surfing? ive heard salida has a good wave but trying to find more places on the front range preferably not on the south platte.
johnsnow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Ehowkayak. Barking Dog on the south fork. awesome park and play. a perfect wave to learn on. you can park at camp lotus they charge a couple dollars, float down toit and then paddle back to your car when you are done playing. Contact the river store or cali canoe and kayak for more info. I believe there are flows every saturday right now.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #6

OTR, Colorado
Another great winter option is to learn to cartwheel and generally just move around a lot in your boat at pool sessions.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #7

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHowKayak View Post
Hi there, I have a Pyranha Varun and am very comfortable river running in it up to class 3+ and I want to become better at surfing. As of now I occasionally surf small catch on the fly waves. What is the best type of wave to learn how to surf really well and learn some easier tricks? Thanks!
Go to the South Fork of the American River and play on Barking Dog. You can even park and play by going to Camp Lotus. To get back to Camp Lotus once at Barking Dog, you can walk through the little island up stream, and paddle up the shore line until you can ferry across.

Later, as you get better, you can go to Chili Bar, and work 1st Threat. While it's technically a hole, it behaves like a wave except on the river left side of it. There is a lot more power on 1st threat, and it is more retentive. There is no easy access there, you have to run from Chili bar to there, and paddle down to Coloma to leave.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsasean View Post
Ehowkayak. Barking Dog on the south fork. awesome park and play. a perfect wave to learn on. you can park at camp lotus they charge a couple dollars, float down toit and then paddle back to your car when you are done playing. Contact the river store or cali canoe and kayak for more info. I believe there are flows every saturday right now.
Thanks for the input. I will be practicing there tomorrow!
Old 10-23-2015   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Go to the South Fork of the American River and play on Barking Dog. You can even park and play by going to Camp Lotus. To get back to Camp Lotus once at Barking Dog, you can walk through the little island up stream, and paddle up the shore line until you can ferry across.

Later, as you get better, you can go to Chili Bar, and work 1st Threat. While it's technically a hole, it behaves like a wave except on the river left side of it. There is a lot more power on 1st threat, and it is more retentive. There is no easy access there, you have to run from Chili bar to there, and paddle down to Coloma to leave.
Ran Chili Bar a couple weeks ago and was able to watch a couple guys surfing there. Seems like a great play spot if you now what you're doing.