Best Pump/Paddle for Shredder/Culebra - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-27-2011   #1

Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Paddling Since: 1999
Best Pump/Paddle for Shredder/Culebra

Rolled through Aztec NM last week and bought a Culebra (Jack's Plastic Welding's answer to the Shredder).

I haven't purchased a pump yet and as I'm new to inflatables (dolls excluded) I'm not sure what size, style, and brand of barrel pump to get.

Basically I want to pump to be large enough to do the job, but small enough to store on this smaller craft.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Carlson, AIRE?

I'm not planning on getting a "top-off" pump (ie EZ pump or K pump) unless it is recommended.

I'm also open to advice on t-grip rafting paddles. Since I intend to check my Culebra on as luggage I'd like to find a break down paddle that is easier to check than the standard 5 foot Carlisle Outfitter paddle.

The only one I can find is the Caviness JP series paddle. I like that it breaks down, but I'm worried it is too cheap and would get destroyed in whitewater.
CavinessPaddles - Caviness® Synthetic Paddles
I hear aquabound makes a breakdown t grip but they are pricey.

Any R2ers have any thoughts? Thanks

Geoff

boneboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I have a 13' raft, and I bought the 31" Wild Water Aqua Lung top-off pump. They sell a slightly smaller one, as well. I think these are cheaper than the Carlson or Aire pumps, and every bit as good.

Wild Water Pumps | Our Products

While I generally use a zinger to inflate my raft, I have pumped up the whole deal with just this pump. It takes some time (20 minutes) but isn't too bad. I would think that the Culebra is probably smaller than a 13' raft, and wouldn't take that long to inflate even with just the top off pump. If you are planning on travelling with the Culebra, you will want a pump that is small enough to pack and carry. I think that a full-on barrel pump would be overkill.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Buy 3 pumps

1: cheap electric pump for air mattresses to blow it up at home
2: cheap barrel pump of a smaller size for use on river (ie ozark trail double action pump)
3: Nice NRS or Carlson Barrel pump.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011   #4

Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Paddling Since: 1999
Brendodendo
Thanks for the info. Good call on getting a cheap electric pump for house. You don't see need for a top off if you get a small barrel like cuzin mentions?
Either way I'm looking for something light an portable and easy to pack.
Cuzin. Thanks for the intro to wild water pumps. Looks like solid stuff.
Geoff
boneboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #5
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
My 13ft came with a wonder pump. It works great for topping off the raft at the put in or on multi day trips. I usually roll with the raft on a trailer or on top of the truck for local runs and this works great. At times, I don't want to travel with the boat inflated, and the wonder pump SUCKED (winded and back hurts before your on the river) for inflating the boat. I got the NRS pump and have never looked back. It is probably my least used pump, but when I need it, I am glad to have it. I used a "clean" shop vac for many years at the house. Last summer I bought a $50 12v/120v little jobbie with high volume/ low pressure and low volume / high pressure. It has it's place both at home and on the road. As I said, You'll have more than one pump to serve you needs, so just plan on having three.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #6

welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
I have a power pack that I use and a cheap air matress pump then I top off my cataraft [hysides answer to the shedder]with the K pump . the power pack is handy if you don't have a car near by . I also have the more expensive nrs 12 v pumps but the cheap air mattress pumps work just as well for the littler rafts for my culebra grandas I use the nrs
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
You will want a few pumps, I have an electric that runs off my car battery which is great for everyday, then i use a 4" barrel pump, I would suggest the DRE pump because I like the metal nozzle which stays in the valve better.

For travelling I have used the wonder pump, it will get your boat from rolled to tight in about 20 minutes.

I have heard really good things about the k pump, which you can use that and an electric and you will be set.

Paddles are a bit trickier, I modified a Lendal 4 piece kayak paddle.
Find a solid four piece paddle with the largest blade they make, trim the blade to look more like a canoe paddle.

Next trim down the shaft to your desirable length, take into account the t-grip as part of that overall size.

I made my own t-grip out of wood, or you could take your favorite raft paddle and pull the t-grip and epoxy inside your new paddle.

Good luck and hit me up if you have questions about the paddle.
stinginrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would suggest just one pump, the 4" Carlson, with a nice, easy to rig, storage bag. You can rig it in the Culebra for trips away from the road, you can fill the Culebra with it in a few minutes, and it will last forever.

I wouldn't buy two pumps just to have a slightly smaller one for on the boat when the Carlson is all you'll need.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011   #9

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I would suggest just one pump, the 4" Carlson, with a nice, easy to rig, storage bag. You can rig it in the Culebra for trips away from the road, you can fill the Culebra with it in a few minutes, and it will last forever.

I wouldn't buy two pumps just to have a slightly smaller one for on the boat when the Carlson is all you'll need.
I second that motion. That boat is so low volume that it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to fully inflate.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
For what it's worth, with my Hyside Padillac Tandem, I use this:
NRS Blast Inflator Pump at NRSweb.com
Being an old guy, I appreciate letting the car battery do the work of filling from scratch at home or at ramp when necessary.
My hand pump is something like this:
NRS Wonder Pump 6 at NRSweb.com
I keep the handpump in a dry bag in the IK all the time.
Works for me.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote