Best Mesh Captain's Chair??? Who Makes it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Best Mesh Captain's Chair??? Who Makes it?

I am looking at buying a captain's chair for my cataraft. I have been looking at the chairs by DRE, River Boat Works and AAA Inflatables. I was wondering what everyone's opinion are on these. Seems I see mostly DRE on the river.

I would like one that contacts the frame on the back of the flip seat bracket also, as I would like the option of not having to install my cooler or dry box to run day trips. One problem that I see is that it looks like all three of these designs basically use T's as the pivot point on the flip seat bracket. I have my cooler and dry box wedged in very tight with the two cross bars on top. Is this going to be a problem, as it seems the tee will get hung up on the dry box trying to rotate.

Is there ever a problem of hitting a rock or something in the front of your cat / raft and getting pitched forward and having the seat flip unintentionally?

Is River Boat Works the only one who will do custom work to create the seat? And are all seats basically the same size? And that would be close to a high back tractor seat?

Thanks for any info.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I have the DRE seat. Only on big holes will your seat bounce up a little; it'll just pop up and down and surprise you, not really effect your position or put you in danger. You could strap it for big days.

Downfall of this seat is that it doesn't have a forward enough bar. I think they chose not to put a bar in the front of the seat for the rowers who want more room, less seat, but to me it just needs to be there. I'm talking about under your thighs, between the side members, under the mesh. I have a buddy who welded one in.

I take mine off at camp and sit on it. When I row other boats without a high back seat I realize how damn comfortable they are.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have couple of AAA seats. Mark worked with me to modify the pitch of one of the seats.
I have never had a problem with getting pitched forward and the seat rolling forward. I also keep my seat over a cooler or kitchen box
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
How close does everyone have the cross bars next to their cooler / drybox? Seems to me that the way I have mine with a 19.5" spacing on a 19.5" drybox, that the T will not rotate correct. Does that make sense, or am I worrying about something that isn't important?
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
My drybox is tight and the seat rotates fine when I want to get into the box. I think you are worrying about something that is not important, but you could move your cross bar 1/4" and it shouldn't hurt anything.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
DRE

I love my DRE chair. I have seen them come up and eject people on snag and dagger falls. It's an easy fix with a strap, pins , or just go backwards. My box is a tight fit at 19 1/2 '' but it's never been a big issue
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
My 85 Yeti gets in the way of it coming down smooth, but it's just a matter of pushing it back one inch and settling the chair down. No biggie.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #8

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
If the drybox or cooler is too tight it could definitely get in the way of the seat lowering. Depends on how low the cooler or drybox is sitting also. I would probably move the bar a couple inches forward before having the seat made. BTW - I have the DRE seat and love it.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have the AAA seat, and I haven't had any problems with it. My only complaint with it (and the DRE that I tried) is that the top of the seat frame rubs on my spine all day long. I am tall in the torso, so my PFD doesn't come down low enough to provide any padding against the seat frame. The mesh seat isn't strong enough to keep my back from pressing against it either.

I'd spend some time sitting in one at the shop (DRE or AAA) with your pfd on and see where it hits you. If you have the same issue I do, ask them to make the back a bit higher or something, because it can really start to hurt after a long day of rowing.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #10

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I am looking at buying a captain's chair for my cataraft. I have been looking at the chairs by DRE, River Boat Works and AAA Inflatables. I was wondering what everyone's opinion are on these. Seems I see mostly DRE on the river.

Is River Boat Works the only one who will do custom work to create the seat? And are all seats basically the same size? And that would be close to a high back tractor seat?

Thanks for any info.
If you are thinking custom and have a tight fit, have you ever thought of making your own? The reason I ask is that I'm also thinking about a captain's seat, but was considering a do it yourself version using Ts instead of bent pipe and having a tent/awning place fabricate the seat. Just a thought.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote