Best helmet for Oregon boating? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2010   #1

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
Best helmet for Oregon boating?

Just cracked my helmet and I need a new one... I'm moving up to Oregon at the end of the summer so I want to buy a helmet that is appropriate for that area. Do I need a full face helmet up there? Or is a standard SR with the little ball-cap bill OK? Money is an issue, but I'll consider it a good investment if I really need a full-face. I'm thinking I'll be running mostly class IV stuff, but hopefully some Vs also. Any opinions are appreciated.

yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
People run up to Class V in both out here, so depends on your preference and your level of comfort having your face exposed. One thing I would suggest is something with a bill, especially if you plan on paddling in the rain.

Welcome to Oregon!

jim
Old 06-30-2010   #3

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Ditto that. The runs out in OR are a lot less manky than here in CO but that being said there are a lot bigger features that may give you chance for face time with the river bottom... and a year round season increases your chances of a face shot too... I paddled with my WRSI without the chin bar for most of a year out there and didn't feel too exposed. When I wanted to start stepping it up though, into more solid Class V runs, I bought a SR fullface and never looked back. the fullface gives me a ton of confidence and has no real drawbacks except drinking/eating.

If you're going to only have one helmet, I would decide based on whether you are going to be paddling mostly harder stuff (pushing yourself) or just enjoying the limitless class IV that they have up there. Either way I think ear protection is a good thing to have in a creeking helmet.

hope that helps, have a blast! there is so much good paddling out there it is ridiculous. Half of the stuff never gets run because there are so many options!
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
I'm investing in the chic and oh so stylish cascade with the cage.. ugly as sin but a good helmet. I like the SR standard with chin bar and the price is much better than the Sweet. The rivets in my WRSI rusted so I'll not be going with their chin bar version.

Anyone else get rusted rivets in their WRSI? I bought mine in 2006.

-hojo
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #5

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Yea, pretty common problem with the early WRSI helmets... if you call them and let them know, they will send you a new one. A buddy of mine had an '06 helmet and called them about 5 months ago and got a new one... Great customer service!

jim
Old 06-30-2010   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Like Jim said, WRSI replaced my '06 with no questions asked beyond an e-mail photo of the fasteners. They were awesome about it.

I run a sweet rocker fullface and love it. I don't doubt it's ability to take a solid hit and it is super comfy. Two slight problems, though: 1) it's warm for summer use, though perfect for winter and 2) it is tough to hear people. Both are very mild issues.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks for the note on WRSI.. I'll give 'em a shout. I love the helmet. As far as the Cascade goes, there is one cool advantage (above and beyond it's super cool awesome appearance) and that is, it's very buoyant. The SR is buoyant (don't know about the Sweet), more than the WRSI, but I don't think as buoyant as the Cascade and that counts for something on a tough swim or an extended rescue.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote