best footwear for playboating - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 04-03-2014   #1

Vail, Colorado
best footwear for playboating

Hey Guys I have these NRS Desperado socks for play boating currently but I hate them. Can you guys give me some options so my toes are not destroyed after every session.

BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014   #2
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
Hey Guys I have these NRS Desperado socks for play boating currently but I hate them. Can you guys give me some options so my toes are not destroyed after every session.
Consensus seems to be that the best options are 5.10 water tennies, astral brewers, and my addition- Keen gorge booties. I wear keens w/ drysuit, and Astrals with no socks when its warm enough.... (too tight for wool sock and drysuit bootie)
I always dress for river running,(read: swimming/ or walking on rocks) luckily both my options fit in my superstar. I know NRS has some newer neoprene sock options with padding. not reallyof interest to me tho.

another low volume option for warm weather is vibrams fivefingers, which are pretty cool, but get hot spots on your pinky toe, and very gritty. (dont keep sand out at all.... which is lame.
similar to that is vivobarefoot running shoes, which are kind of a new option my buddy discovered. 35$ on leftlanesports.com, superflexy low profile, and a good sole for foot protection. theyre actually a really good budget option....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
As much as I hate to plug NRS products, their new play boat booties are WAY more comfortable than the desperados.

Most of the other options mentioned by the 2nd poster (5.10, keen, etc.) are too small for play boating unless you are a little person.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I've got a NRS Freestyle Wetshoe I've been enjoying. Solid toe protection from a formed rubber toe cap and plenty of grip in and out of the boat. Not as sturdy as a creeking shoe but for playboating it seems excellent. I've got a limited number of days on mine so I can't comment on durability.
Old 04-04-2014   #5

., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
I also have the freestyle by nrs and I love them. Lined with felt like material inside. No laces, straps or Velcro on the outside. Regular shoes are too bulky for my playboat but these fit fine. You do however feel every rock and twig you step on since they're soft soled booties but I wear the so much I'm used to running around on my forefoot, not using my heels.

5.10 water tennies are comfy, drain well, are with stealth rubber they're the stickiest shoe I've had (climbing shoe rubber). I can only use them in the burn or xp9 because they're too big for the playboat.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #6

., Arizona
And durability... The neoprene at the ankle is starting to crack since i stretch them out to put the on and take them off but it doesn't affect the performance at all.
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #7

. ., Kairotic
I have to disagree with jmack. I wear a size 15 and my astral brewers fit in my Rockstar. It's a bit tight, but then most things are for me.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #8

Silverton, Oregon
Another vote for the NRS Freestyle Wetshoe (NRS Freestyle Wetshoe at nrs.com).

I used a pair most of last season and loved them. The first pair had some loose stitching where the lower boot meets the upper neoprene, but Outdoorplay/NRS swapped them for a new pair, which are holding up well so far.

And jmack, why do you "hate to plug NRS products"? I'm honestly curious. Is there something I don't know about NRS? I always thought they were kind of a quality-on-a-budget type company, but were open about that.
Old 04-04-2014   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I'll be an outlier here - None
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmer View Post
I have to disagree with jmack. I wear a size 15 and my astral brewers fit in my Rockstar. It's a bit tight, but then most things are for me.
Paddler dimensions and boat designs and sizes make a difference. Most play boats with most paddlers don't accommodate sneakers.