Best cooler for GC trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2007   #1

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
Best cooler for GC trip

We are getting ready to do a GC trip this Aug/Sept and it is time to replace my old Coleman cooler. It looks like I can fit an Icee-Kool 115 from NRS (which seems to have been out of stock for at least 5 months), a Yeti Sherpa 100, or a Yeti Roughneck (Icee-Tek) 95L. Any thoughts on the better box for quality of construction and ice retention? Thanks

boater.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007   #2

Hey Boater Chris, first off welcome to the Buzz!

I had the same question last week so this thread might help you out:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...the-14778.html

Based on the thread I ended up going with the Yeti Sherpa 120. (Thanks to everyone who chimed in on that thread.) The stories on them are pretty impressive. They all sound pretty darn good but a few had issues with latches or lids on some of the models.

If you can fit a Sherpa 100 then you can probably fit a 120, the only difference in the dimensions is the height. (well, maybe not if you have a seat over it...) anyway, here's their dimension chart:
Dimension Chart : Yeti Coolers

I'll report my experience with it after the trip.....good luck and have a fun trip!
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Engel Ultra Cool aka PooPoo

I purchased a Engel Ultra Cool UC85 several months ago directly from the US distributor. This cooler was decided upon because of the specific dimensions, that perfectly suited my available space. Upon receiving the cooler I was dismayed at the construction quality, as there was no seal between the body and lid interface; the surfaces were variable to the extent that the foam could not compensate for the imperfections. Upon contacting the company, as I thought this was a defective unit, they actually argued about me returning it. Eventually it progressed to me having to utilize the Better Business Bureau to assist me in obtaining a full refund. My ultimate point - DO NOT BUY A ENGEL ULTRA COOL SECONDARY TO DEPLORABLE QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. My Coleman 150 quart marine cooler has retained ice for up to 8 days, with big chunks of the block still remaining.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007   #4

Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
Cory - Thanks for the reference and the welcome!

I did see your thread, but it seemed like several people talked about the Yeti's without differentiating between the Sherpa and the Roughneck. I think the Sherpa is a newer design, but does that mean better constructed and better holding power or less expensive construction? It sounds like you are pleased with the quality of what you purchased.

If I go with the Sherpa, I am debating between the 100 & the 120 but am concerned about running into the taller chest on my forward reach. I wish there was a dealer around where I could try both for size, but, here in Eastern Washington, I think I am out of luck!

As to the latches, it seems like I would be using cam straps, no matter which box I use and how much I trust the latch. I am not planning on being upside down, but you can't be too prepared! (Food is a pretty high priority for me.)

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Hey Boater Chris, first off welcome to the Buzz!

I had the same question last week so this thread might help you out:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...the-14778.html

Based on the thread I ended up going with the Yeti Sherpa 120. (Thanks to everyone who chimed in on that thread.) The stories on them are pretty impressive. They all sound pretty darn good but a few had issues with latches or lids on some of the models.

If you can fit a Sherpa 100 then you can probably fit a 120, the only difference in the dimensions is the height. (well, maybe not if you have a seat over it...) anyway, here's their dimension chart:
Dimension Chart : Yeti Coolers

I'll report my experience with it after the trip.....good luck and have a fun trip!
boater.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
As I understand, Yeti bought out Icee-tek awhile back and thus, Yeti now sells both. The sherpa line is the original Yeti cooler and not a newer line. I think Roughneck is just a name the Yeti now uses for the Icee-tek. I use a 120 Yeti in my 14ft Aire in the bay in front of me and have no issues with it getting in the way of my oar strokes.

Maybe more info here, haven't looked in a while.

Yeti Coolers

Looks like they have redone the website since I've been there.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Forward Reach

If it helps, I have no problems with forward reach on a NRS 14' with a 19" cooler in front of the foot bay. The foot bay is 19" internal and I sit at 19". My wingspan is 6'. Hope this helps. The Sherpa series is built much more beautifully, with a true o ring seal and very smooth, refined finish. The roughnecks use foam for a seal an don't have as nice latches. The sherpa, however, is more rounded, so theoretically has less efficient space utilization. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2007   #7

My report on the new Yeti now that I'm back from Lodore is much as the others have said, this thing met and exceeded my expectations in every way. After eight days (one travel, five on river, then sat in my garage for two more days until it got unloaded) I still had about 95% of my ice blocks, the couple of frozen water bottles that were left were still solid with very little water in them, (they couldn't be squeezed), and I still had ice cubes left from the 20lb bag I dumped in on the top of everything just to fill space in between items. Most of the ice cubes were actually used in nightly mixed drinks I did do all of the precautions, pre-chilled it, kept a wet towel over it all the time, etc., but it was way overkill. The last couple days I knew I was golden so I didn't even worry about opening it all the time anymore. It'll do as advertised plus some.

I didn't get to talk to anyone about their's over there but I did notice at the put in almost every other group had the Roughneck line (icey-tek). They were definitely popular as I counted at least 7 among the other groups putting in and mine was the only Sherpa I saw. Like I said, I didn't get to discuss with anyone their experiences with the Roughneck but just seeing that many people using them says something. A few definitely looked to have a lot of miles on them too.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote