bent vs. straight shaft - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2006  

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
bent vs. straight shaft

I've been using a bent shaft for about 4 yrs (player, sherpa) and am considering switching back to a staight because they're cheaper, i keep losing paddles, and alot of creekers/ river runners swear by them. I'm mostly creeking now a days and was wondering why so many pros still use straight shafts. what are the pros and cons when it comes to staight and bent when creeking? Thanks, guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2006  

Systems & Process Design, Colorado
I am with ya... I just went back to a straight shaft as well... the pro for me was the cost.

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My shaft has just enough dog leg (left) to hit the G spot. The ladies swear by it.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006  

If your wrists don’t hurt using a straight shaft there is no reason to pay the extra $ money for a bent shaft paddle. The flex of the shaft is much more important.
Old 08-07-2006  

I Strongly recommend not giving two shits what the "pros" use. Its whatever feels good to you. I agree with David H, if you don't have aproblem with your wrists no real reason to go with a bent shaft.
Old 08-07-2006  
gh

pnw, Colorado
i do think there is one other benefit to the bent shaft, if the paddle moves around you can find the proper spot for your hands under water but if i didnt have wrist problems i would probably go with a straight shaft
Old 08-07-2006  

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Alleviating wrist issues is the main benefit of the bent shaft. It does also help ease pressure on the elbows and sometimes will have a small positive influence on the shoulders. Finding your paddle grip when discumbobulated is also a major plus. Personally, I like the feel of a bent shaft better. I have also heard that using a bent shaft will proactively help fend off wrist and elbow problems. How/why are you losing paddles so often? I have never had that problem. Good luck.

COUNT
Old 08-07-2006  

Duct tape around the paddle will help with discumbobulation
Old 08-08-2006  
gh

pnw, Colorado
tape may help you find the location but not the orientation...
discombobulated...wow that was the word i was looking for...
Old 08-09-2006  
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
I think there is more benefit to a bent shaft than helping with wrist problems. The bent shaft puts you in a more natural paddling position where it is easier to keep your elbows in on forward, sweep, and brace strokes. But whatever feels good works. Some might say that for creeking it is good to have a straight shaft because if you break it and have to use your breakdown, there will be no adjustment period at the top of a class V.