Bent shaft paddles harder? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2013   #1

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2013
Bent shaft paddles harder?

Are there any inherent drawbacks to bent shaft paddles besides getting used to them? Are they harder to use when rolling, playboating, etc? Was going to make my first whitewater paddle purchase this week (straight shaft) when I test-dry paddled- a bent shaft and it did feel noticeably more comfortable. No water experience with one however. As always thanks for helping this noob with your knowledge base.

Kayak123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
If it didn't feel comfortable when you picked it up don't get it broseph.

Bent shafts are great if you feel a lot of pain in the wrists when paddling but they do have draw backs.

A straight shaft is usually made of one solid shaft which returns the favor of one solid shaft into power do to the loading and unloading of potential energy on the shaft. Every stroke brings a little extra. With a typical bent shaft you have two pieces joined together in the middle which takes away from the power in the end.

Some people extremely dislike bent shafts and some like them and swear by them. I owned bent shaft paddles for a few to many years. I switched back this last season not only for the fact of power but pricing. If the ergonomic feel isn't comfortable which it necessarily isn't always than I would pass on it and buy a Werner powerhouse or something if you like to playboat maybe lean towards something with slightly more playboat friendly blade
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
I borrowed a friends bent shaft Werner player this summer & it took a little bit to get used to, but once I did, I was converted! Much gentler on the wrists, very easy to roll with, easier to keep my hands oriented on the shaft, etc. I'm planning on buying one before next paddling season, and hoping to find one on sale this winter somewhere. Darn, it is paddling season already! September rains brought the water up, go figure!
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The straight shaft paddles are not only cheaper while delivering more power, they're lighter. This translates to being able to conserve more of your energy on a long day on the river. They're also faster. You'll brace with greater agility.
Old 09-15-2013   #5

Chicago, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2013
Yhea it did feel more comfortable picking one up. I did have a wrist injury a while back that has left my left wrist with very limited mobility so maybe that's why it feels more comfortable. I feel like I've heard a lot if negative stuff too so was wondering about the drawbacks of a bent shaft. It sounds like less power is one of them so thanks for the post CasperMike.
Kayak123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #6

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessy View Post
The straight shaft paddles are not only cheaper while delivering more power, they're lighter. This translates to being able to conserve more of your energy on a long day on the river. They're also faster. You'll brace with greater agility.
Yep ask any slalom boaters and you will proabably be given a straight shaft..

Honestly there is nothing wrong at all with a bent shaft I used one for years. Gotta get use to it has a different feel but they can be a game changer if you have been sore in the joints bro
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote