beginner looking at a Perception method air? Thoughts anyone? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 06-14-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
beginner looking at a Perception method air? Thoughts anyone?

It appears to be a good deal, but can't find too much info on the boat. nice werner paddle, pfd, harmony skirt included. The boat seems to fit pretty well, was going to take it to the pond to try it for real... I know it is a ten year old boat, but it has barely been used at all. Just wondering what folks think of this for a new beginner? Thanks

firepup21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
You're handicapping yourself. It's going to be harder to roll, easier to tip, and more difficult to control than anything made in the past 5 years. For a beginner boat, it cannot be a good deal even if it's free.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011   #3

Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the thoughts. I smell what your cookin' . I've been going to roll class and been using either the Diesel 60 or Little Hero. Still need a lot of roll practice, but I'm getting there. Taking a class on the river this Friday... some of the reviews (of course they were from 7 years ago) were saying it was a pretty good beginners boat, but I understand that things keep changing.. Just trying to find something to learn in - not ready to get something new...

there's also a liquid logic lil joe available... don't know too much about it either..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
The lil joe is probably a better boat.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #5

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I agree that the Lil' Joe would be better. My very first boat was a LL Trigger, which is the smaller version of the Joe. I out grew it quickly though, only paddled it for 3 months, then went to a Jackson 2 fun.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #6

Boise, Idaho
I tried the method air in the pond yesterday and I was doing OK with my rolls, the boat fits me pretty well and is comfortable. The reviews I read from awhile back said pretty easy to roll, and in its day was decent for a beginner. I do like that I could learn to play in it a little as well as go downriver... I can get the boat and skirt for $150...kinda hard to pass up even if I only use it for a little while to learn in and make sure I stick with it...

Just curious as to why you think the lil joe would be better? I'm not set on anything... just collecting opinions...
Old 06-16-2011   #7

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
The perception will be a bit slicier (more of an old school playboat) the front and back end will catch in rapids more and be harder to control. Paddling on a lake will not give you an idea of how it will be in moving water. The LL will be more of a river runner...definately easier and more forgiving in rapids as there is more volume in the front and back of the boat and the edges are very forgiving.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #8

Boise, Idaho
I see what you you're sayin'... I'm still trying to understand the differences between the old boat/new boat shapes and how it works when learning and I understand the downriver stuff will be quite different.. maybe if I'm upside down most of time I'll have no choice but to become a proficient roller!

I've only been down river once so far - in a friends rocker so I know that will feel like a freighter compared to any of the other older boats I've been looking at.

I'm actually taking a beginner class on the river tomorrow, so I have the opportunity to try the perception with some instruction in some current.
Old 06-16-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
I've got a buddy that has a Pyrhana 420 he said I could try... don't really know anything about that boat...except its a playboat... as far as a beginner using it.. no clue..
Old 06-16-2011   #10

Fort Collins
I am a beginner too. I was gifted a Dagger Ultrafuge...10-year old playboat. While I was able to roll it in a pool a few times, when I took it on the river, I got flipped in nearly every eddy, and that was while the water was low. It was really taking a toll on my confidence. I more rcently bought a LL Hoss (big brother to Lil joe). I got it on the river while it was very high (easy parts mind you), and I could feel a huge difference. It was much more stable, and I was more relaxed as I wasn't as afriad of swimming at any given moment. The free boat (good deal) was great to get me hooked, but the Hoss has been a lot better for me to learn in.
co_bjread is offline   Reply With Quote