Beer Talk - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2011   #1

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Beer Talk

I have done some initial baseline research on the cost and stowage parameters on keg beer vs. canned beer on long-range trips such as a Grand Canyon adventure. While the idea of taking three or four 1/2 barrels of high-end craft beers along seems irresistable, the expense of the equipment, the weight of the setup in regards to actually being able to dispense the beer without re-boarding the boat while beached and the storage temperature requirements all seem to indicate its not worth the hassle. Does anyone have any successful experience with a keg beer trip they would care to share? Please feel free to bore me with all the infinite details cause we are talking about one of most everyones favorite subjects afterall. Don

fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
We took 3 or 4 pony kegs on a grand trip in december. Brought a 5# co2 tank, regulator, tap, plus some of cases of canned beer for use during the day. We had the kegs strapped to a cat frame out of the water which kept them cold enough given it was december. It was slightly unnerving having a single co2 setup but it worked just fine and I suppose you could bring one of those air pump taps as a backup. The regulator and tap were stored in a ammo can, wrapped in a towl. We brought the whole setup on shore at camp. It worked great and I would do it again.

The economics of it are so-so. A case of beer is 2.25 gallons, so a 5 gal keg holds 2.2 cases. At $60/5gal keg that's equivalent to paying $13.60 for a 12-pack so you're not really saving any money but you don't have to deal with empties and you might be able to get one for $50. A 15 gal keg at $130 drops the cost per 12-pack to just under $10. You do have the equipment and co2 to buy on top of that but that's an investment and 5# of co2 (I paid $18 to have it filled) should get you though a number of kegs.

OK I should get back to work now...
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I had a great time on a trip in Idaho last summer where we brought 4 sixths of Ninkasi. We just used a standard keg pump (the ones you used in college) and kept the keg in the water when dispensing, and tucked along one of the side tubes when in transit.

Logistically, it worked great. Super easy, not that much space, and the empties weighed less than 10 lbs. The shape is the sixth barrel kegs is great:

The long and skinny shape is easy to pack on a raft.

As for the economics, one of the guys on the trip sponsored the beer and didn't bill us, so I can't comment on the cost.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Administrators, this is posted in the wrong forum. Please add a beer talk, a beer swap, and beer drinking planner to the forum categories.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #5

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Corny Keg Portable Co2 Charger

These charge corny kegs, instead of having a regulator and 5# co2 bottle.

You can buy a 1/2 barrel and decant it to 3 5gal corny kegs.
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catflipper View Post
The economics of it are so-so. A case of beer is 2.25 gallons, so a 5 gal keg holds 2.2 cases. At $60/5gal keg that's equivalent to paying $13.60 for a 12-pack so you're not really saving any money but you don't have to deal with empties and you might be able to get one for $50. A 15 gal keg at $130 drops the cost per 12-pack to just under $10. You do have the equipment and co2 to buy on top of that but that's an investment and 5# of co2 (I paid $18 to have it filled) should get you though a number of kegs.

OK I should get back to work now...
"But honey, its an INVESTMENT"!

Probably a better investment than some college degrees and mountain real estate five years ago.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer