beds in trucks - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-22-2011   #1

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
beds in trucks

So the thread about kayak racks on trucks was pretty helpful but I was wondering if anyone has any input about building a bed in a truck. I have a Toyota Tundra and just found a topper for it so the next step is building a bed. I'm looking to be able to take it out and put it in easily...any thoughts, ideas, photos of yours??

thanks,
gavin

glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Gavin

This is the setup I used in my truck (Tacoma) and it has worked very well over the years.

This guy's website is a great resource:

Tacoma Camper

Hope that helps...

Jason
JK_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #3

Boise, Idaho
I don't know how Toyota's do it, but my Nissan Titan came with a bed. I didn't have to build it or anything...

But I guess that's what it's coming down to in this economy.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I put some pics and my thoughts on this thread, lots of ways to go about it but this setup works really well for me:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...eas-22971.html
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for the laugh Anchorless!

Although I'm usually the one chuckling at my companions while they set up their tents...gotta love the instant set up and take down factor when you're not backpacking or on the river...

Jason
JK_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #6

x, x
Paddling Since: x
here is one from our own. Sleeping in the car in the winter?

and one more. Ski RV's, who's sleeping in parking lots?

lots of good info amongst the junk, pics etc.

think about it and try to design a custom outfit that works for your needs be it mtn biking, kayaking, skiing what ever it may be.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_44 View Post
Gavin
This is the setup I used in my truck (Tacoma) and it has worked very well over the years.
This guy's website is a great resource:
Tacoma Camper
I based mine on that one too, though for a Dodge Ram 6' bed. I've liked it a lot, though I should have made the door up front a bit wider to allow getting into the side pocket. The 2 major changes I made was rather than dividing it into 2 equal sized compartments, I did a 2/3 wide and 1/3 wide, and I added an extra access door at the back.

The 2/3 side has it's top (sleeping surface) fixed permanently to it. The 1/3 side has heavy duty velcro holding it down. It is sized so that I can remove the top piece and put my bike in a fork mount holder. I reverse the handle bars and then put in an additional piece of wood (~2' deep) near the tail gate which allows me to sleep in the bed with the bike in the truck. This fills in part of the gap from the missing decking. Without that I wouldn't fit as I barely fit diagonally anyways.

The other change was rather than just having the access door in the front of the bed (near the cab as the web page shows, I made a second one at the rear of the bed that lines up with the tail gate allowing storage of coolers and the like that are taller than the bed. I also didn't bother with the locking setup, the back is open ended on mine.

For interior lighting I find the LED battery lights for closets work great. slap some velcro on the back of them and they stick nicely to the ceiling of the shell if you've got carpet in there.

Definitely expect condensation and frost for winter camping. I keep toying with a portable heater but always get too paranoid on CO poisoning.

John
Old 11-22-2011   #8

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
crazy swiss, check this out...

swissRoomBox-home

it only costs around $8000. Cool idea though.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #9

student
I built a standard box that can hold gear underneath and simply put a futon mattress on top. worked well for about 3 months but did get moldy in the nw
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'll try to get pics one of these days. Some things I've settled on after a couple carpet kit builds:

- I cam straped the side boxes to the built in anchors so they don't bounce around when the center is out.
- I've got just enough space under the bridge to store rocket boxes upright. That still gives enough room above to sleep, although it's not spacious.
- I built the center bridge sections like a hollow door. I did 3 sections, each with (bottom to top): 1/8" ply, 2 x 3/4" perimeter frame, 1/2" ply, carpet foam, indoor / outdoor carpet. The whole thing is ~2" thick, and the dual layers of plywood glued are stiff enough to support 2 people without difficulty - even when, ahem, stressed. They can stack at the front, lay flat on the bed, or come out entirely depending on my load.
- I kept the top-load compartments over each wheel well, but cantilevered the side boxes so nearly the full width of the truck is open at the back. 1/2 tons these days are so tall you can't really reach in from above anyway...
- 2 Therm-a-rest 2" camp rests nicely fill nearly the whole space.

6 total pieces, I can move it in and out of the truck easily myself.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote