Axiom VS Villain - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2011   #1

West Linn, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Axiom VS Villain

I am a beginner class 2+ fair weather yaker and would like your opinion on these 2 boats. I currently own 2 hybrid boats an approach 10 and a remix 10.
I am hoping this year to try some class 3 stuff and learn to roll and surf.

I demo'd the Villain (not the small) on class 2 one weekend and after 8 hrs down river I got into a hairy situation (was not looking) ended up almost killing myself on these 2 big rocks that looked more like pillars. Well the Villain (not me) saved my bacon. Leaned left and right (prob with my eyes closed) and woosh I did this cool slalom arround both rocks. It musta looked real cool cus the good folks drinking on the side of the river cheered me like I was some kinda pro.
Anyway, I kinda feel I owe it to the Villain (not to mention the nice ppl at adler creek) to buy this boat.
As far as river running goes, I dont think I need a better boat then the Villain but I have read good things about this Axiom how its a hybrid boat, that is a play /creek / river runner. If I ever wanted to surf and play not sure if the Villain is any good in that department.

alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011   #2

Parys, Freestate
Paddling Since: 2007
If you are looking for the ideal kayak that can run, creek and play in you should have a look at the Fluid Detox. The Detox hull incorporates a variation of the Nemesis rail system with super forgiving sidewalls and generous kick rocker to create an exciting but very stable ride. It surfs waves like a charm, catches must-make eddies with ease, runs creeks like a creekboat, runs big volume runs like a playboat. What more can you ask for?
There is ample volume, which, combined with the peaked decks, ensures controllable surfacing when running drops. The deck profile and hull width makes the Detox super easy to roll, inspiring confidence on difficult runs. There is enough space to take overnight gear, and the full bulkhead will protect your ankles in a piton if you miss your line (not the boat’s fault of course).
The Detox fills the gap between the Spice and the Solo series in the Fluid line-up. If the Spice is too playful for the type of rivers you want to run, and the Solo is a too full-on creeker to enjoy on easier runs, the Detox is the boat for you: High performance kayak | riverrunning capabilities | playboat | creekboat | expedition kayak | Element | Nemesis | Flirt | Spice | Solo series | Donsa | Detox kayaks Contact Fluid Kayaks now on Tel: +27 (0)56-817-2951 | Email: [email protected]

Jan
Fluid Kayaks
WhitewaterJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #3

clackamas, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Jackson Villain

Alikair,

I just purchased a Jackson Villain S a few weeks back from Alder Creek and took it out for the first time this last weekend. I just recently sold my Aire IK as I want to learn the ropes of more technical boating and get into creeking.

I don't work for JK nor am I affiliated with them in any way. That being said, I am very happy with my decision to go with the Villain. It combines stability and ease of roll with the highest level of performance. I like the fact that there are no holes drilled through the hull and the outfitting is solid. For me, it was a choice between the Hero and the Villain.

I guess if you're looking for a playboat style crossover, it is not your ideal boat. If you are looking for a river/creek boat capable of tackling anything you can bring, it will not disappoint. The fluid boats are probably as good as any; just personal preference in style and use really.

Safe boating to ya bro whichever your choice..

Chad
cliffdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011   #4

West Linn, Oregon
Thanks for the input Chad.
To date all I've done is run rivers. nothing to fancy. I liked the Villain because it can out maneuver my other boats. and still be able to keep up with them on the calm long flats down river. I find all the whitewater descriptions be contradicting at times. I cant tell the difference between a river runner and a creeker. now a play boat or freestyle i can see, they are like 3 feet long J/K
I dont really see myself ever doing bigger then class 3 and I've yet to see a wave big enough to want to surf. I just want a boat that will save my sorry ass when I get over my head and still be able to maneuver in and out of eddies plus catch a small wave here or there.
Old 07-12-2011   #5

West Linn, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterJan View Post
If you are looking for the ideal kayak that can run, creek and play in you should have a look at the Fluid Detox. The Detox hull incorporates a variation of the Nemesis rail system with super forgiving sidewalls and generous kick rocker to create an exciting but very stable ride. It surfs waves like a charm, catches must-make eddies with ease, runs creeks like a creekboat, runs big volume runs like a playboat. What more can you ask for?
There is ample volume, which, combined with the peaked decks, ensures controllable surfacing when running drops. The deck profile and hull width makes the Detox super easy to roll, inspiring confidence on difficult runs. There is enough space to take overnight gear, and the full bulkhead will protect your ankles in a piton if you miss your line (not the boat’s fault of course).
The Detox fills the gap between the Spice and the Solo series in the Fluid line-up. If the Spice is too playful for the type of rivers you want to run, and the Solo is a too full-on creeker to enjoy on easier runs, the Detox is the boat for you: High performance kayak | riverrunning capabilities | playboat | creekboat | expedition kayak | Element | Nemesis | Flirt | Spice | Solo series | Donsa | Detox kayaks Contact Fluid Kayaks now on Tel: +27 (0)56-817-2951 | Email: [email protected]

Jan
Fluid Kayaks
sounds like a non-paid commercial for your company.
Old 07-12-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
stick with the Villain
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #7

West Linn, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
stick with the Villain
have you tried a detox?
I am leaning towards the Villain just out of loyalty.
Old 07-12-2011   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Villain is awesome, thats the boat
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #9

West Linn, Oregon
Sounds like the Villain has a loyal following. Good to see this.

Is it hard to surf / play with a villain? at 8 ft long I dont imagine it could do to much
Old 07-13-2011   #10

Parys, Freestate
Paddling Since: 2007
I paddle a Detox myself and I prefer it to the round hull kayaks. You have much more control and manoeuvrability. And it really punches trough anything, is super stable and big fun. You can do much more in it then in a round hull. Here is a independent review:
WhitewaterJan is offline   Reply With Quote