Astral Rassler vs FiveTen Water Tennie... - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-08-2013   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Astral Rassler vs FiveTen Water Tennie...

I know they are fairly new, but I was wondering how the Astral Rasslers have been comparing to the FiveTen Water Tennies. I am in the market for new kicks this coming season and have narrowed it down to these two currently.

Discuss...

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013   #2

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
I wrote a review of the 5.10 here: REVIEW

I'm taking the Rasslers with me to Mexico in December, so I'll have a good idea about those after that trip and will write another full review.

My gut tells me that the differentiating factors will be durability and fit. Since the shoes have the same rubber, overall stickiness/performance should likely be similar.

Definitely really stoked that Astral came out with a shoe that comes higher up on the ankle. The brewer was cool looking, but creek boaters need something a little beefier to keep out the scree and dirt.

I haven't tried both yet, so I'll report back once I have.
Old 02-15-2014   #3
Everyone needs a vacation

Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
So... How did the Rasslers work? I'm looking at them or the 5.10 Guide Tennie for creeking.
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014   #4

Hood River, Oregon
BDPADDLE-

The full report on the rassler will be published on blistergearreview.com in a couple of days. For now though, I'll lay down some of the differences between the Rassler, Water Tennie, and Guide Tennie (I use them as everyday shoes and approach shoes).

Basically, I personally wouldn't use the Guide Tennie for anything water related. The shoe isn't meant to get wet. That kind of material is going to get really heavy when wet and it won't drain. It also won't dry out quickly after boating. Shoes that stay wet rot, and that is the fastest way to wreck a perfectly good pair of shoes. If you do decide to use them, I would investigate punching some small holes in the sides so they at least drain a bit of water.

If you don't want to spring for a water-specific shoe at that $100-$120 price point, I would recommend using something cheaper and less wreck-able than the Guide Tennie. Look into amphibious trail runners, perhaps.

As I mention in the review of the Water Tennie, it is a really worthy creeking bootie. The traction is great, it stays on my foot, and the high top keeps dirt out. The mesh material drains well. It really is more of a bootie than a shoe, however, and that becomes especially clear compared to the Rassler.

The Rassler has a much stiffer, thicker, more supportive sole and heel. It moves more into the realm of an actual "shoe" as opposed to a sturdy bootie. Traction is comparable to the Water Tennie (same rubber). One thing I really love about the Rassler is how it dries out so quickly. There aren't any removable insoles in the shoe to trap water, so you cut down a lot on smell + a shoe that dries fast lasts longer.

The other difference is fit. The Rassler has a lot more volume in the heel (space behind your foot). So if you have a large heel, this will be more comfortable. The Water Tennie will be more comfortable if you have a small heel. Rasslers seem to run a bit large- I ordered a half size smaller than usual.

Durability is a concern with both of these shoes. I've had two pairs of water tennies that lasted a long time and one pair that imploded quickly. I haven't had the Rassler's for long enough to know, but the Brewer didn't have a reputation for durability.

Personally, I would probably slightly favor the Rasslers for my needs because they are more supportive and dries wicked fast.

If you are mostly planning on day use, or need a shoe that fits in the boat easy, the 5.10 is also great. Both worthy shoes. 5.10 is a "sturdy bootie" whereas the Rassler is more of an actual shoe.

Full report coming soon. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2014   #5

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I have to disagree about the Rasslers running Large. I recently ordered 1/2 size larger to account for a drysuit booty. It wasn't large enough. I returned for a full size larger and that worked out. The retailer said they've had lots of returns for a larger size. It's a narrow footbed. Also they attached the tongue to the shoe with a VERY stiff piece of material. This rubs uncomfortably against my foot when worn barefoot. Not too concerned because I bought for creeking when I'm typically in a drysuit. Hopefully it softens up as it wears in, but it's a super stout piece of fabric. Overall the materials seem well constructed, very light, great traction, and support. I haven't had the chance to break them in much yet.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Jcman-

Interesting. I agree the the tongue is stiff. I always wear socks with the shoes, even if I am not in a drysuit. I find that makes them much more comfortable than wearing them barefoot.
Old 02-16-2014   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Shoes talk, it must be winter on mountainbuzz. Need to get new shoes myself this year so good to hear some feedback. Think the Rasslers fit my bill but very confused on sizing. CKS and jmacn here seem to indicate ordering a 1/2 size larger than normal is the way to go, but David says the opposite. Anyone else have experience on sizing?

I'll add another comment to the discussion. I didn't realize this until I looked at their website, but there are various flavors of Stealth Rubber on 5.10 shoes. The Water Tennie uses a softer variety designed for to work on wet surfaces, but the Guide Tennie and the old Savants use other variations. Maybe this is why I wasn't as impressed with the rubber on the Savants as a lot of 5.10 advocates. Anyway, the Rassler uses the same rubber as the Water Tennie.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #8

Hood River, Oregon
It seems I was mistaken. After digging my kayaking gear out of the storage room and checking my the size, I also ordered a half size up. Sorry for that! My bad.

Digging the boating gear up now also has me getting excited for spring... not too long now!
Old 02-16-2014   #9

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Having tried 1/2 & a full size larger than normal, I recommend a +full size. The +1/2 size was snug with socks and uncomfortable with socks & drysuit bootie. The + full size isn't too big w/ just socks & leaves just enough room for bootie. Anyone w/ a high volume foot might not like it...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Saw a sale so ended up picking up a pair of the Rasslers. Just tried them on around the house so no full review but they seem ok. Even though this is their "burly" creeking version, they're still pretty minimal. They're super lightweight, no footbed, just a rubberized surface with some dots for traction. They most definitely run small. I would say they run 1/2 to a full size smaller than most shoes. There's a small gap near the heel to drain water (and perhaps a sand magnet - we'll see) and a couple larger drainage holes on either side.

The sole appears to be adequately thick and stiff for hopping around on river rocks. The uppers have a little bit of added stiffness around the heel and toe box, but not a lot. Width seems standard. The sides touch the ankles, but for some reason the cut is much lower towards the heel - am neutral on that design.

They look like they will dry quickly. Didn't notice the tongue stiffness issue with socks on, but maybe barefoot it would be uncomfortable - don't anticipate using them barefoot. Also I use a bootie for playboating so low profile is not an issue. They're more of a tennis shoe profile size (except for the material coming higher around the ankles).

I'm going to keep them and give them a try once boating season starts around here.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astral