Army surplus Medic Chest - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-14-2011   #1

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Army surplus Medic Chest

Stumbled upon these at the surplus store.... anybody use these as a "york" style drybox?

i think it would be great for DO's, stove, maybe a dry food container. They appear to be stamped and not welded, with a ruberized gasket at the tope with 8 latches all the way around the topa

OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011   #2

They work great. I have been using mine for years now. They have taken a lot of abuse and they still work fine. No leaks at all. The only drawback is the tops are not hinged, so removing the lid means that all of the latches must be undone. Not a bad trade off for the price at the time... The price seems to have doubled since then. I got mine thru Colemans Military Surplus.

Medical Transport Chest, U.S. G.I. Aluminum Medical Transport Chest [134801] - $79.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

Medical Transport Chest, U.S. G.I. Aluminum Medical Transport Chest [134801] - $79.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

They are a good source for all kinds of containers.

Water cans, transport cans, gerry can, ammo cans, flasks, canteens and more, at Coleman's Military Surplus
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #3

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
I saw all the sizes in the surplus store in springs for $49-59.. still i think that's a good price... if i were to have something like that made from stamped aluminum.. i would expect to pay much more!

the local store also had (used) sceptor 5gal water jugs for $19

Is the closure system a big bitch? i would think if it was "kitchen only" kind of extra dry box, it would be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Hated them

I was a medic in the army and hated those boxes the latches really don't snap easy half the time and you wind up only using half of them. The new plastic ones are great. If you can only get the old metal ones in new condition they would most likely be fine its when you have 20-30 of those that are beat up thats when it gets annoying.
rodgers712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I have one and use it on every trip. Horseshoes, charcoal, and a lot of other sandy/dirty stuff goes in there. I think I paid $20 for mine, and I recall being at Smith and Edwards in Utah and seeing them cheap there recently. Almost bought another. The real drawback is the hinges - they bend and you have to tweak them every so often.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #6

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
what store in the Springs?
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
Buy these things locally.

I purchased one online a year or so ago and the shipping was about as much as the box.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Bullets and Blades is a surplus store on main street in Canon City and has these boxes alot, usually in pretty good shape for $50 to $60 range.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #9

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.rafter View Post
what store in the Springs?
Westside surplus (or some variation of that name) on Colorado down from Jake & Tellys
Old 02-15-2011   #10

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Two of these worked very well as our GC kitchen boxes last year on a 14 foot boat, plenty of space. Insides were dry after being in an upside down boat for about 15 minutes or so.

You need to have a solid floor in your boat for them. I don't think they'd fit in between frame rails.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote