Are there any good cold temp whitewater kayaking gloves ? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-23-2016   #1

manitowoc, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2008
Are there any good cold temp whitewater kayaking gloves ?

I am trying to find a good pair of whitewater gloves for cold temps 30s-40s .
I see a lot of people seem to be using pogies as well any input on the pros and cons of good gloves vs pogies . And then what your favorite pair of pogies and gloves are ?

oldworldlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have used both over the years and prefer pogies.

Pogies are warmer,

Gloves work for rescue scenarios, where pogies are worthless.

My choice for gloves are the Reactor by NRS:

NRS Reactor Rescue Gloves - Closeout at nrs.com

My choice for pogies are the Snap Dragon Hyper Hands:

http://www.coloradokayak.com/Snapdra...r-Hands-Pogies
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Nrs Maverick Gloves, grips the paddle well and not to thick
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016   #4

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Glacier Gloves Kenai model used with pogies for very cold temps, or on their own when not too cold is a really good combo. Whatever brand of gloves you use, however, it seems that the web between your thumb and index finger always wears out within one season. I cannot understand why whitewater companies who make these gloves do not reinforce this area. I now straightaway put some gorilla tape over this weak friction area.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
Whatever brand of gloves you use, however, it seems that the web between your thumb and index finger always wears out within one season. I cannot understand why whitewater companies who make these gloves do not reinforce this area. I now straightaway put some gorilla tape over this weak friction area.
I had this problem when I wore gloves regularly too... however, I used Aquaseal instead of Gorilla Tape.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
When I kayak, I use ponies when I kayak so I can use my hands. To pull my skirt if I have to. My buddy had a really long swim wearing gloves because he wasn't able to feel his skirt pull loop. It was pretty scary, when it was all said and done he blamed the gloves. So, I use ponies when I kayak, and the Glacier gloves when I raft and duckie. When i use the ponies, I put a wax on the kayak paddle, keeps my hands a bit warmer. Just my experiences, your milage may vary!!
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016   #7
huckh2o

Confluence, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1999
Mittens are worth a look too

Pogies are good for keeping your hands warm river running but as mentioned earlier they aren't going to be any help in a rescue. Also when playboating they don't perform very well because the cold water inside is constantly being replenished. Sometimes its better for the water to just splash off.

Gloves are clumsy and aren't very warm. I used to use gloves when I was younger...but i've gotten away from that.

Now I use the NRS Toaster Mitts for paddling when its cold out. They are by far the warmest option for hand protection. Mine lasted me a really long time. They are very grippy but until you get used to having a layer of neoprene between your hand and your paddle you'll overgrip your paddle and wear your forearms out quickly. You can still grab things pretty well (put key in ignition, put skirt on, grab grab handle) despite the mitten hand. I have no affiliation with NRS. I actually work for IR. The Toaster Mitts are pretty darn good though and worth a look.

I actually made my own after the NRS ones finally started leaking really badly. I made mine out of thinner neoprene than the NRS ones.
huckh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016   #8
tytanr

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Coldwater Gloves

I have been using the "Waterproof" G1 3mm and 5mm diving glove for the last couple of years. Probably the best cold water glove I've ever used and works great for kayaking. Very reasonably priced, high quality and one can choose between a 3 finger or 5 finger style all the way up to a 7mm if desired. I've used the 5mm in some very cold water and never had any cold, numb fingers. The 3mm, 3 finger or 5 finger will usually be enough for about everything down to the temperatures you're asking about. I purchased mine from "leisurepro.com" dive shop. Check out their site and search for the Waterproof G1 5F 3mm Glove. "Waterproof" is the brand name.
Old 03-24-2016   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tanner View Post
I have been using the "Waterproof" G1 3mm and 5mm diving glove for the last couple of years. Probably the best cold water glove I've ever used and works great for kayaking. Very reasonably priced, high quality and one can choose between a 3 finger or 5 finger style all the way up to a 7mm if desired. I've used the 5mm in some very cold water and never had any cold, numb fingers. The 3mm, 3 finger or 5 finger will usually be enough for about everything down to the temperatures you're asking about. I purchased mine from "leisurepro.com" dive shop. Check out their site and search for the Waterproof G1 5F 3mm Glove. "Waterproof" is the brand name.

Those look decent. May pick up a pair of 3mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #10

golden
I use gloves but I think piggies are warmer. I have large hands and had problems getting my hand back in the pogie when I took my hand out. Gloves tend to make you squeeze the paddle more but they protect your knuckles from your boat and rocks.

I sure would like to find pogoes for large hands.

Tags
kayaking