aquaglide IKs - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-18-2016   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
aquaglide IKs

A friend of mine wants to get into kayaking with duckies and doesn't want to initially splurge too much. Going through all his options I sort of picked the AQ Klikitat but I do not have any personal experience in it. Any of you folks have any in depth experience with this model? How does it compare with a Tomcat?

Thanks for any info.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I don't know the brand, but looking at the prices, a Tomcat or NRS Outlaw barely cost more. I'd probably feel more comfortable with those brands over an AQ.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #3

Enfield, New Hampshire
I did consider a Tomcat for him also, its just such a beast to carry around [I have one]. Also, the AQ has a dropstitch floor and that does make a difference in handling. The Outlaw has a draining issue which is well documented. I dont think NRS has yet addressed that issue. I see your point though with AQ being a relative newcomer on the IK scene.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016   #4

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Buy a tomcat. Super durable, handle reasonably well. The aquaglide also runs a separate floor, a design I don't hold a good opinion on. The outlaw also runs a separate floor. New tomcat is $650, and should be even less in the off-season. Look around and watch craigslist. Found my tomcat used for $375 with a throw bag and cheap paddle.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016   #5
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a klikitat. I also have 4 Sevylor SK100DS's (the Klikitat is almost identical to the SK100DS. it just has 4 fewer d-rings than the Sevylor.) And Jimm you already have an SK100DS so that should tell you what the Klikitat is like. I like mine well enough. I've had it for 2 years now. and my SK100DS's are on their 5th year. I've not had a single problem with any of them. They've all been down the middle fork, main(twice), and the payette's all summer long. Fun little boats.
Old 11-18-2016   #6

Omak, Washington
Paddling Since: 1989
I don't have experience with AQ or Tomcat IKs but I bought an NRS Outlaw I this spring and here's what I know:

I bought the Outlaw I from REI during their 30% off one full-price item sale and applied my dividend and ended up paying $111 for the boat. Sweet as.

I took it on several multi-day trips (lower main Salmon, San Juan) both loaded with gear and without, occasionally with a second passenger through a couple of rapids.

I also got out on splashy class II - III+ day trips (fall Tieton, spring lower Methow) and the boat performed fine. It drains a little slowly after big waves but so far no big issues.

The drop-stitch floor is nice. Definitely rides high through waves.

HTH
CurrentLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016   #7

Enfield, New Hampshire
Phillip , can you clear this up for me please : the Klikitat is advertised as 10' long and 36" wide. Is this for real? That would make it 8"s longer than than the SK 100 and 3-4"s wider. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2016   #8
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
no, it's not correct, they are the same length. and width.
Old 11-19-2016   #9

Enfield, New Hampshire
OK, thanks.