Anyone running Sotar SL's - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2009   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Anyone running Sotar SL's

I'm in the market for some new cat sticks, and just discovered the Sotar SL's. The ideas and principles behind the design seem sound on paper, but as we all know what works on paper doesn't necessarily work on the river. Does anyone on here own a set of SL's and if so what are your thoughts. They are a bit pricey, but given Sotar's reputation they'd be well worth it if they perform as advertised. In the past I've rowed several styles of cat tubes from several manufacturers and have had some of the issues that the SL's claim to alleviate. Also, if you've got a set you're running and you're in CO, I'd love the opportunity to spend a little time at the sticks, if you'd be willing. I'll be happy to provide the beverages and safety supplies if you'd like.

For those unfamiliar, here's the link: Untitled Document

slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
PM Pearen. He owns a set, but just spent a couple of days on the NF payette with some borrowed Legend tubes (Sotar also, but not on their website). I asked him how they compared, and he said he was buying some legends.

Some people that have the SL's love them. I'm not sure those people have rowed the Legends.

The legends are magic tubes, truly. Contact Payette River Equipment in Meridian Idaho, Ted Day, if you want the low down. He designed them.

I blather on and on about this boat. My first day on it was May 9, on the Lochsa, and this past Sunday I rowed the lower 5 of the NF Payette. I've only been rowing rafts for 3 years and 3 months, and while I often make progress quickly, there's something special about that cat that has played a major role in my stepping it up so fast.
Old 09-09-2009   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the info, I'll look into the Legend's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
You are welcome to give mine a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
I'm in the market for some new cat sticks, and just discovered the Sotar SL's. The ideas and principles behind the design seem sound on paper, but as we all know what works on paper doesn't necessarily work on the river. Does anyone on here own a set of SL's and if so what are your thoughts. They are a bit pricey, but given Sotar's reputation they'd be well worth it if they perform as advertised. In the past I've rowed several styles of cat tubes from several manufacturers and have had some of the issues that the SL's claim to alleviate. Also, if you've got a set you're running and you're in CO, I'd love the opportunity to spend a little time at the sticks, if you'd be willing. I'll be happy to provide the beverages and safety supplies if you'd like.

For those unfamiliar, here's the link: Untitled Document
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Awesome! I'm off to Alaska this afternoon, I'll get in touch with you when I get back. How do you like em? Do the alleviate the issues that Sotar claims they do? Will river betty's flock to me like the salmon of Capistrano? Will they add 20 yards to my cast? I'm dying to know!
Old 09-10-2009   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
Will river betty's flock to me like the salmon of Capistrano? Will they add 20 yards to my cast? I'm dying to know!
Yes, if you pick the right stylish color, and if you can surf like Laird Hamilton (but on a cat).
Old 05-26-2010   #7

Seattle, Washington
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread, since my question is the same as the OP's and it didn't get a lot of etailed responses.

Just wondering if pearen might share some thoughts on the legend vs the SL tubes? How did they differ when you rowed them? Pros/cons for the designs? Very little first-hand accounting of the SL boats, and I'd love to hear about them more please. Considering a Legend purchase. Why should I rule out the SLs?
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #8

Boring, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I have a pair of 12'6" SL's and love them! They are extremely nimble and real surfing machines, with a tendency to ride over rather than punch through waves. With the diminished stern tubes they are very responsive rowed backwards which is very helpful if needing to do a quick lateral move or when making up time on flat water. They are designed to set forward of center just a bit, so in the shorter sizes they are a solo craft, My frame is set up for a 50-60qt ice chest in back and med to lg dry bag up front so I can run unsupported on overnighters if need be with no loss of responsiveness. I have not rowed the Legends so can't compare the two but I do have a larger pair of ST's and given the choice I would rather row the little playboat, especially on class 3-4’s like the Lochsa and Upper Clack. (but comparing 12'6' to 18' is like comparing apples to oranges). I was looking at the Legends at the Clackamas festival a couple of weeks ago (there were no SL’s on display) and with the upswept bow and stern they look like would have an entirely different performance dynamic when hitting holes. They reminded me of the Maxon design which I think is butt ugly but this is purely an esthetic opinion. The Legends appear to have a large following on this forum and I know from past experience that looks and performance are two entirely different things. Pretty girls aren’t always the best dates!!!
rivermaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I had a pair of 14' SLs and sold them, mostly no beef with them other than they were just too big for me. I replaced them with a pair of 12'x22" Legend tubes which I absolutely love. I have also rowed 12'6" SLs and they are tons of fun, but I would only run them on day trips and never with a load. Thus my choice of the Legend tubes. I may pick up another pair of short SL tubes for surfing and fun on day trips. In short, SLs are great in the short length for day trips (super sporty and surf awesome), but Legends have them beat for multidays and running bigwater ClassV.
pearen is offline   Reply With Quote