Anyone have experience with Sotar SL 12 or 13' - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-14-2012   #1

colo spgs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 81
Anyone have experience with Sotar SL 12 or 13'

Looking at the 12' or 13' SL for low water Ark's and gunny gorge river running and fishing. What something light and quick. Anyone have one? What do you think of it and what else should I be looking at?

2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i do allot of the low water,ubber technical ww/fishing trips, as well and a narrow width always seems like the most important feature just above a bombproof floor. so some other ones to consider would be the maravia spider or aire puma series.

i wouldn't worry much about "light" rafts for your purposes. adding 10-30lbs difference isn't anything after you add in a couple fat asses, frame, oars, beers, gear, ect. i'll take bombproof over "lighter" any day. i'm not jabbing sotar as they certainly achieve both very well.... i just wouldn't worry about it much in your decision making process.

i've never liked rowing really short boats too with passengers. long arms and i get tired of the sense that i'm about to put my fist/handle through the head of the person in front of me. narrow but at least 13ft for my own liking. each his own though.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
A great choice would be a 13ft NRS Otter. Great fishing boat with the NRS frame. Can be rolled easily and carried down Chuckar on the Gunny. If you are looking for something more durable the expedition NRS boats are nice but a few more pounds. A lot of guides run these boats on the Roaring Fork and Colorado river and have many years on them with few problems.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
I like the mini max for tough put ins or technical fishing. but thats a two man...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111101_140150.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	4239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111101_145356.jpg
Views:	3254
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	4240  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #5

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't have any experience with the SL, but it is a foot wider than a Super Puma. Super Pumas are great fishing rafts because they are narrow and because the AIRE floor is a very stable platform.
Paddle Iraq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #6

colo spgs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 81
I want lighter because, its my wife and I so it helps for her rowing and getting the boat to the water. Upshitscreek your right about too short you feel like your going to hit someone.
Sotar will add 6'' to a raft at no charge. So I'm thinking of the 12' and adding the 6'' so it would be 12' 6'' and 74'' wide. Sotar says it will weigh about 100 lbs.The shape and diminishing tubes looks like it might have more room than the super puma? The super puma is 13' 1'' and is 68'' wide and weighs 100 lbs. I have seen a few of super puma's setup for fishing on the ark so it is worth considering. I just don't want to make a mistake, boats cost to much. Any other input would be great.

That mini max looks sweet for a fishing rig!
2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fish View Post
That mini max looks sweet for a fishing rig!
Thanks,

the mini max probably isn't the best for your only boat, but for day floats, tight rivers/put ins I love it. I have a 13.5 footer for my larger boat, which you need for overnights or three fishermen, but you can't beat a 50# raft with a 45# frame when carrying it in and out of the Blue or other tight rivers. I originally got the mini for the few times when I take my 70 year old pops or my wife with a bad back fishing, so I could set up/ move/ launch the boat myself, but I ended up using the mini 2 to 1 compared to my bigger boat this year. While you always need a 3 person boat, I probably fish with two people 90% of the time.

I am not sure if it is the narrow width, or the continuous rocker, or the diminishing tubes, but I find it way easier to control/row the mini than my larger boat (even though it drafts more than the bigger boat). I can hold the mini in most any hole my fisherman asks me to. Not drift boat performance but better than my bigger raft.

another nice plus, is how easy the boat makes it to fish rivers like the Green in UT or the San Juan in NM that are a long ways away. I just pack the mini in the trunk,with the and oars on top, rig in the parking lot, and just throw the sub 100# complete raft on the roof rack to shuttle it up and down the river. so much easier than trailering a boat for some 400 miles each way. I have the setup dialed to the point that I can rig and inflate in the same time it takes my other buddies to unload the trailer park it, etc.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #8

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
That mini is dope!!!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote