Any uses for "Flex Seal"? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2012   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Any uses for "Flex Seal"?

Phil Swift nearly has me convinced that I need not just one but two cans of Flex Seal. I've been trying to replace a raft floor with a screen door that won't leak and he seems to have the exact product I need. Has anyone tried this? I'm certain there are many other uses for rafters and kayakers but would like to hear about personal experiences. I don't mind paying additional shipping if I get two cans for the price of one!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012   #2

Lindon, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin
Phil Swift nearly has me convinced that I need not just one but two cans of Flex Seal. I've been trying to replace a raft floor with a screen door that won't leak and he seems to have the exact product I need. Has anyone tried this? I'm certain there are many other uses for rafters and kayakers but would like to hear about personal experiences. I don't mind paying additional shipping if I get two cans for the price of one!
I nearly aspirated my drink when I got to "screen door". You made my night! I saw that ad earlier this evening and had one of those "what the hell?" moments
Old 01-08-2012   #3
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Bong repair
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
I see the ad on TV quite often.

Wonder if the stuff sticks to kayak plastic or raft material

Anyone done a test?
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Imagine if Bear Gryll kept a can or two with him all the time. Lol

Great post!
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #6

little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I see the ad on TV quite often.

Wonder if the stuff sticks to kayak plastic or raft material

Anyone done a test?
Sticks to Hypalon like a spider monkey in heat. I sprayed three cans on the floor of my 1990-something Odyssey tub and the floor all but stopped taking on water. Full disclosure; I used PlastiDip. Same thing I think, but cheaper and available at the big box stores.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #7
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
hmm pinhole repair perhaps?
Old 01-11-2012   #8

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I have used a two part sealant on my early 90's Riken and when I saw the add I was wondering if it was the same stuff in a different can.

FLEXSEAL RAFT SEALANT KIT

If this sticks to Hypalon I may try to coat the non-bailing floor on that same raft to seal all those annoying leaks that weep.

Any picutures???
Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpineau View Post
I have used a two part sealant on my early 90's Riken. FLEXSEAL RAFT SEALANT KIT If this sticks to Hypalon I may try to coat the non-bailing floor on that same raft to seal all those annoying leaks that weep.
I used this on an old, old neoprene raft that had become porus. Following the instructions, I mixed the two parts and injected the sufff--about the consistency of whipping cream--into the tubes through the valves. Then I topped-off the air pressure. A team of us then slowly turned the raft over and over and over in every direction, attempting to get the sealant to flow over every part of the internal surfaces of the tubes.

The result: At every pinhole leak, the sealant was forced through the fabric by the internal pressure. As soon as it hit the outside air, it dried and the leak was permanently sealed. So far, so good. But I guess we stopped turning the raft too soon--even though we followed the instructions--because after we stopped, some of the sealant flowed down to the lowest part of the tubes, where it cured into a thick, inflexible mass that became brittle over time. Leaks resulting from that situation were the end of the raft.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #10
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
DO NOT USE TWO PART FLEX SEAL IN A FLOOR. Seriously?? The spary stuff is a joke! Every couple months some dumn ass waste $50 and it wont work in your floor. period the end! If you have a drop strich floor the sealant will bind up in the connecting fibers just like pouring the sealant into a bag of cotton. If you have a I-Beam floor the latax will absorb into the material that forms the webs. The sealant just wont cover the inside of a floor.

I say go to "Man of rubber" and buy the right system 6 paint for your boat type and put some Urethane down.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote