Any lighter folks running a large burn? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2013   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Any lighter folks running a large burn?

Curious. Lighter meaning 140-160lbs.

Curious of opinions on sizing I guess. I've read a lot about various size folks in mediums, but not much about the large.

Any input appreciated!

Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm 145 and 5'6" and the medium fits me like a glove.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #3

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
I'm 165lbs and have overloaded my med BURN multiple times and it still performs great! Obviously it's best to keep all of your heavier bits closer to the seat area.... Great boat... Milo
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013   #4

Longmont, Colorado
Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm interested in lighter folks in the large boat.
Old 11-24-2013   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
I've paddled the large and I found it more difficult to roll and more difficult to maneuver. Basically handled the same, just took more effort to make it perform as well as the medium. How much do you weigh? There is a pretty big difference between 140 and 160. What about height? If you were closer to 6' I'm sure the large will be easier for you to move around.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013   #6

Longmont, Colorado
145 and just under 6 feet.

I figured if anything a bit more work to get around and back up, but more comfortable.

Btw, I have a large burn, first boat (bought on advice of a shop). Haven't paddled outside of a lake and some really low river in it, so haven't really tested extensively. Took classes in a pool in a mamba that was super uncomfortable even though the "correct sizing". So I'll be happy for some room, plus there will be gear.

Speaking of gear, I thought climbing as expensive haha

I'm sure ill be fine and have fun regardless. Looking forward to getting out there even if it feels like a Cadillac.
Old 11-24-2013   #7

Golden, Colorado
As the lightest guy (138 lbs & 5'10) to reply here, I can say I only paddle the medium burn. My out of state friend leaves his large burn at my house and I don't paddle it very well.

I still have room for a lot of gear including a large pin kit, extra ropes, float bags, food, and a watershed bag with my digital camera and safety supplies.

Some people like a larger boat when creeking but I prefer to be in the middle if not top of the range. Just my opinion.
Old 11-27-2013   #8

Longmont, Colorado
We'll just see how it goes! Thanks folks.
Old 11-27-2013   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've seen a couple people probably in the 170# range paddle the L. I tend to be more enthusiastic about bigger creek boats personally. The main advantage will be when you load them up with lots of gear though. I don't have experience with the Burn, but it has well defined edges and I wonder if you'll need to engage the boat on edge more at a lower weight.

In my experience, if you want to paddle a larger boat, it requires more commitment to paddle strong and aggressively as they generally take more effort to move than a smaller sibling. However, the payoff is more speed, riding higher over features, and the ability to carry more gear without performance loss, which can be a great thing.

If you're committed to paddling a lot, I say for it. If you're a one or two dozen days a year in the creekboat kind of guy who likes to float and make last minute corrections, it may be a mistake.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
The large seemed to have a mind of its own and didnt want to engage the edges to turn at 160 with light gear load. I sold it and bought a demo medium.