Any insight on Zoik boats? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2009   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Any insight on Zoik boats?

I'm mainly interested in the solo IK...any thoughts on boat quality from this company would be greatly appreciated.

jacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009   #2
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacy View Post
I'm mainly interested in the solo IK...any thoughts on boat quality from this company would be greatly appreciated.
The Zoik boats are solid. Not to mention, they're local - Durango. I have several friends who paddle them and really like them. They've have had no problems whatsoever with the boats. The folks in Durango running the company are great people and they definitely stand behind their product. For the money, I don't think you'll find a better deal, especially on the IK.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have the tandem and the solo. My only comparison boat to the solo is the NRS Bandit. The ZOIK is MUCH nicer, turns better, handles waves/churns better, is made of stronger material, etc. I'd suggest buying a second seat and putting it in front of your feet to act as a brace as glue on foot pegs aren't as solid.

A+ boats, look here
Xstream Gear - Tributary Aire Tomcat Tandem
I bought both used from here, they still come with a 5 year warranty retroactive from March. The boats are 600 for the solo and 700 for the tandem and mine at least look almost new.
thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoth View Post
I'd suggest buying a second seat and putting it in front of your feet to act as a brace as glue on foot pegs aren't as solid.
Can you insert leg straps? It looks like there are some small D-rings that you could rig them into. Thanks for the info on XStream...I was turned onto Zoik from their site in the first place...cheap good boats.
Old 06-06-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Can you insert leg straps? It looks like there are some small D-rings that you could rig them into. Thanks for the info on XStream...I was turned onto Zoik from their site in the first place...cheap good boats.
Cheap must be subjective, they are 1000+ new. They are glued though and almost certainly made by or in the same factory as the Star brand and I've been told to expect a 10 - 13 year life span versus twice that for the 500 or so dollar more expended welded IKs.

Thigh straps - NRS sells some but they were back ordered, the solo has enough rings but the tandem does not. I used the ratchet webbing straps used to hold gear on rafts ( NRS 1" Padded Strap ) and put them through the bail holes, it works well and doesn't interfere with bailing.

It might chafe without padding but I use a 5mm wetsuit most of the time around here so I don't notice it.

I'll be trying the solo on 3/4- Tuesday and the Tandem on a longer (overnight) flat water to class 1 trip with my wife next week so I can post my impressions then if you want but so far I have been very happy wtih both.
Old 06-06-2009   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
another thread

Love mine!

but, foot pegs? Mine do not have foot pegs...

See my other comments in other thread on Zoiks:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...les-24730.html
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #7

Thx for the feedback!

Great to hear some positive stuff! I was turned onto the company by the Gravity Play fleet being sold at almost half price. After my terrible ducky swims in an AIRE yesterday...I'm still lookin'...still fightin'...even with a shoulder partial dislocation and surgery in the future. One of those reoccurring injuries that gets messed with by 2400 cfs. No mercy...I'll be back on the river soon.
Old 06-06-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Great to hear some positive stuff! I was turned onto the company by the Gravity Play fleet being sold at almost half price. After my terrible ducky swims in an AIRE yesterday...I'm still lookin'...still fightin'...even with a shoulder partial dislocation and surgery in the future. One of those reoccurring injuries that gets messed with by 2400 cfs. No mercy...I'll be back on the river soon.
Good luck with the healing, I've been host to several injuries myself. They stink.
Old 06-06-2009   #9

gunnison, Colorado
I just bought one a few weeks ago. It is a great boat with great performance, turns on a dime, and is very stable. I highly recomend it.
thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #10

Kirkland, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
I have had my Zoik for a bit over a week now and taken it out 3 times already, nicest boat I have ever had! Great design, great material, very comfortable. The only addition I am going to make is to buy NRS thigh straps http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=16051. If you want a dry run on a calm river you can run duct tape along the outside of the boat to cover the bailing holes, haven't done it yet but the rep from Gravity Play said it works well. By the way, got my boat from Gravity Play, great deal, great people, fast shipment, very pleased.
CascadeConqueror is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zoik