Antix vs rewind - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Antix vs rewind

So many kayak options: I’m looking for a boat I can turn on a dime, surf some glassy waves, punch the odd nasty hole and maybe still creek a little bit. I can’t decide between the antix or the new dagger rewind, any thoughts on those who have paddled these.
How would the slicey boats be different in paddling then say a mamba or another river runner with a planning hull? Just curious cause I have never paddled a slicey stern before

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I can't compare these boats, but I have the ripper and I find it well worth it to have a boat in this category. It's a ninja boat - can accelerate and turn much faster than a creekboat and can play more. It reacts more to river features and makes anything that feels a little easier than you want more fun.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3

Durango, Colorado
Depends on what you're looking for. Antix feels more like a playboat with river running capabilities while the Rewind feels more like a playful river runner / squish-tail Phantom. The Antix will be better at surfing and slightly more stable, but not nearly as fast. The Rewind will have more speed, track better and will be better at river running.

Compared to larger river runners / creek boats, a slicey boat (in general) will have less secondary stability, will force you to paddle more in the front seat and will feel sportier overall. Other than that, it really depends on the exact model, apples to apples.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
A few thoughts:
Look at weight ranges. For any half-slice boat, I think you want to fall near the middle of the weight range. That makes a big difference, b/c if you are about 190 lbs, you fall near the boundary for the M and L Ripper.
Have you considered the Ripper? Great boat. Fast and precise.
I've paddled a Rewind and was super impressed, fast, accurate, but easy to dip the stern. Based on specs alone, I can't imagine the Antix having hull speed like the Rewind.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
A few thoughts:
Look at weight ranges. For any half-slice boat, I think you want to fall near the middle of the weight range. That makes a big difference, b/c if you are about 190 lbs, you fall near the boundary for the M and L Ripper.
Have you considered the Ripper? Great boat. Fast and precise.
I've paddled a Rewind and was super impressed, fast, accurate, but easy to dip the stern. Based on specs alone, I can't imagine the Antix having hull speed like the Rewind.
Hi
For a 9ft boat...Ripper vs Rewind?
I am 5,10ft, 210lbs..I paddle Class III/IV big water mostly, very little creeking...I like to surf waves and crash thru holes.. Which would you reccomend?
Thanks
wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharf-rat View Post
Hi
For a 9ft boat...Ripper vs Rewind?
I am 5,10ft, 210lbs..I paddle Class III/IV big water mostly, very little creeking...I like to surf waves and crash thru holes.. Which would you reccomend?
Thanks
Check manufacture rcmd weight ranges. From memory, you are at the high end of the Medium Rewind and lower middle range for large Ripper. Large Rewind is in the works so stay tuned.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote