Another "which boat?" Thread - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-31-2013   #1

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Another "which boat?" Thread

Hey thanks for bearing with me on this. Trying to decide on a boat that would best suit my needs.
I am 5' 10" 170 lbs, size 11.5 shoe.
Im about to move to NC next month and looking for a boat i can play around in. My uses for the boat will be surfing the North Carolina beaches, some whitewater/play boating. I would like to do some creeking as well, but only once in a while.
Anyone have a suggestion on a kayak that surfs and plays well but will survive the occasional trips inland to the creeks?

Thanks for answering the question that I'm sure gets asked 500 x's a day.

Phillystyle_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
How much "creeking" are you going to be doing? As far as wave boats go the project x 56, jitsu 5.9, and the new allstar are pretty sick. I don't like the allstar as much because it is wider than the others. The project x is a pretty sweet down river boat as well, I'm comfortable running class IV in it but you gotta remember it's still a play boat, you might be able to pick one up for less here soon because wavesport is coming out with the mobius. All of those are still pretty good in holes too.

My 2 cents

I'm 5'9 175
Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #3

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelsauce View Post
How much "creeking" are you going to be doing? As far as wave boats go the project x 56, jitsu 5.9, and the new allstar are pretty sick. I don't like the allstar as much because it is wider than the others. The project x is a pretty sweet down river boat as well, I'm comfortable running class IV in it but you gotta remember it's still a play boat, you might be able to pick one up for less here soon because wavesport is coming out with the mobius. All of those are still pretty good in holes too.

My 2 cents

I'm 5'9 175
Thanks for the reply. Honestly probably only a few times a year I'll be doing any creeking. I'm moving to the coast and from what I've seen it's a good drive to get to the good spots so that's why I'll probably be in the surf more than anything. Just can't justify buying a straight creeker for only a few times a year. That's why I just want something that would make it the couple of times I get out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Get a surfboard. Learn to surf.
Get a creek boat. Drive to creeks.
Problem solved.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #5

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
Get a surfboard. Learn to surf.
Get a creek boat. Drive to creeks.
Problem solved.
Got one. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Fuse or fun would be on my list to check out. They can hit most play moves with some creekability. If you are only surfing, blunting, and spining then a hero would be nice because you'd get more creekablity and still a surfing machine. But if you are a cartwheelin-looping-space case then you need a real play boat plus a creeker.
Old 07-31-2013   #7

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
That Pyranah Nano looks great for play and creeking but I have no experience with it.

Where on the coast will you be? If you are in or near Wilmington, you are looking at about 300 miles or so to the closest quality creeks. That's not too bad at all for a weekend trip. I drive about 3.5 hours one way to Wilson and Watauga.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #8

Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdignan View Post
That Pyranah Nano looks great for play and creeking but I have no experience with it.

Where on the coast will you be? If you are in or near Wilmington, you are looking at about 300 miles or so to the closest quality creeks. That's not too bad at all for a weekend trip. I drive about 3.5 hours one way to Wilson and Watauga.
Probably going to end up in Hampstead actually.
Old 07-31-2013   #9

Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
You want a slicey stern for ocean surf

Dagger Axiom would be a blast in the ocean, fun on most river runs and is a good occasional creeker. It is not a park and play boat at all however.

Pyranha Loki would also be a blast in the ocean, can pull off the freestyle moves that most of us do (although it doesn't loop too well, it cartwheels great; better than the spud boats) and would be OK on a low consequence creek (careful here, as it looks as if it might pin pretty easily).
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013   #10

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like you are going to need two boats..

But if you had to settle on one, I might recommend a Jackson Zen.

Two boats would allow you to pick up a creeker and a playboat. In general, the boat you want for the ocean/surfing might be a lot different than what you would want for creeking/whitewater.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote