another play/riverrunner question - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-23-2017   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
another play/riverrunner question

I know that there is an ongoing thread on a similar topic but I don't want to hijack it so would appreciate your responses here. I am thinking of adding a hard shell to my quiver again [its only IKs at present] but do not want to spend too much. My thoughts were a classic superfun, a freeride 67 or a Rx 6.9. My specs are 205 lbs and a 32 inseam. I will use it upto cl 3. I like the looks of the current 4 Fun but that would be outside my $ range.
Any opinions on this very welcome.
Thanks in advance.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017   #2

Salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 6
Kayaks

Welcome back to the hard-shell world!

A few things to think about:
Do you want to run the river and do more tricks? Cartwheel? Stern Squirt? and more?
Or
Do you want to cruise down the river and surf? Carve out of eddies?

If you chose the first one I would go with your first option of the Jackson Fun Series or Dagger Axiom. They allow for more play in rivers and surfing in small features.

If the second one is what you desire then go with a Remix, Zen, Burn or something like that. If you choose a Remix I would recommend trying the 79 because I weigh 185lbs and It still felt small for me. (Test out both if you can.) Also an older Burn will have some sharp edges so it could be more difficult to get use to.

I bet you could find a used Fun or Axiom for pretty cheap! A Fun will be easier to paddle just a heads up.
I've never paddled the Freeride but I haven't heard great things about them. I could be completely wrong but who knows.

I hope this helps!
Sabo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017   #3

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Old Rx 6.9 would fit you well and be even more playful than axiom, should be cheaper too since its an older model.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote