Another "Looking for Beginner Kayak" Post - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Another "Looking for Beginner Kayak" Post

Hi Everybody,

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading about getting a first boat. I know I need to demo as many as possible, but I'm just looking for a little help while I peruse through all of the listings. I don't want a brand new boat, I'd like something a little older (so it's cheaper). I don't want a creek boat, I want a beginner boat that will help me learn, not just a tank of a boat that will compensate for me. So, I'm looking for a river runner, or a maybe even a playboat/river runner that leans more towards running rapids than throwing flips in a wave.

I'm 6'2", ~165-170lbs with long legs. What are some boats that I should look for while glancing through craigs and the buzz. I've heard a lot of good things about the EZ, maybe a Big EZ for me. Also been looking at LL Lil' Joe's. What are some other older boats that I can pick up for a reasonable price and get me started? Thanks for your help, I know this questions is asked all of the time, and I've read through most of the postings on this topic.

SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010   #2

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Diesel 65, 70 (just right), or 75
Burn M
Hero
Old 09-03-2010   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
You can find a Big EZ? Yes it was a very popular boat with a good design that many people liked. At 6' it was one of the most uncomfortable boats I have ever been in. Had to just get out of it and couldnt finish the run. Hence, the demo idea. One mans treasure is another mans trash.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd say one of the best beginner boats is the dagger RPM.
Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcquillen View Post
I'd say one of the best beginner boats is the dagger RPM.
2nd most uncomfortable boat of all time
Old 09-03-2010   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd look for a Big EZ, an EZG 60, a 4Fun, or go with the Diesel series or something similar. A small creek/river runner wouldn't compensate for you being a beginner, but you would probably have more fun in something more playful. The Lil Joe isn't too bad, but there are many boats that fit your criteria. Good luck and have fun!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I boat with a couple of "tall" friends, (over 6') who really like the Jackson 4Fun.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #8

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I agree with the Jackson Fun series. If you get a creek/river running boat and you are paddling with people that like to stop and surf on waves, you will be selling your boat in less than a year. That's what happened to me. I went to a 2Fun and could river run just fine and surf when I wanted to. A Super Fun or 4 Fun would be great for you. Comfy too!
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking