Mountain Buzz banner

another IK question - specific

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Randaddy 
#1 ·
Yesterday, my GF didn't like the AIRE/TributaryTomcat Tandem -- felt that it slapped down onto waves in a train rather than riding more smoothly up and down like her experience in a tandem Hyside. I am guessing that this is because of the greater rocker on the Hyside (and perhaps becuase it is a bit shorter). Does this sound right? We were planning to buy an AIRE Outfitter II (she also likes big tubes and low seat). I think this still makes sense because I'm guessing the rocker on the Outfitter will make it ride waves more like the Hyside. The Outfitter is about six inches longer than the Hyside, but from the photos, the Outfitter's rocker seems to begin farther back. Agree?? Outfitter II less slap than Tomcat?
Thanks!

#2 ·
my GF didn't like the AIRE/TributaryTomcat Tandem -- felt that it slapped down onto waves in a train rather than riding more smoothly up and down like her experience in a tandem Hyside. I am guessing that this is because of the greater rocker on the Hyside (and perhaps becuase it is a bit shorter).
The amount of slap could also be from factors other than rocker. My experience is that Hysides are not as rigid as Aire boats so they contour to the waves more. They are also a bit more of a pig to paddle. The shape of the hull could also be a factor in the slap. The more "vee" shaped the hull is from side to side, the smoother the ride in waves.

#5 ·
love my tandem hyside. more air=more slapping, less air=more grooving but does get sucked down when surfing, which the boy likes. can't say the pig factor has ever been an issue. Never been in anything else so can't compare to other duckies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.