another IK question - specific - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-17-2009   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
another IK question - specific

Yesterday, my GF didn't like the AIRE/TributaryTomcat Tandem -- felt that it slapped down onto waves in a train rather than riding more smoothly up and down like her experience in a tandem Hyside. I am guessing that this is because of the greater rocker on the Hyside (and perhaps becuase it is a bit shorter). Does this sound right? We were planning to buy an AIRE Outfitter II (she also likes big tubes and low seat). I think this still makes sense because I'm guessing the rocker on the Outfitter will make it ride waves more like the Hyside. The Outfitter is about six inches longer than the Hyside, but from the photos, the Outfitter's rocker seems to begin farther back. Agree?? Outfitter II less slap than Tomcat?
Thanks!

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
my GF didn't like the AIRE/TributaryTomcat Tandem -- felt that it slapped down onto waves in a train rather than riding more smoothly up and down like her experience in a tandem Hyside. I am guessing that this is because of the greater rocker on the Hyside (and perhaps becuase it is a bit shorter).
The amount of slap could also be from factors other than rocker. My experience is that Hysides are not as rigid as Aire boats so they contour to the waves more. They are also a bit more of a pig to paddle. The shape of the hull could also be a factor in the slap. The more "vee" shaped the hull is from side to side, the smoother the ride in waves.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
The amount of slap could also be from factors other than rocker. My experience is that Hysides are not as rigid as Aire boats so they contour to the waves more. They are also a bit more of a pig to paddle. The shape of the hull could also be a factor in the slap. The more "vee" shaped the hull is from side to side, the smoother the ride in waves.
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense.

Edit: And she doesn't care if it's a pig to paddle!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I recently upgraded from a tomcat tandem to an outfitter tandem. It does seem to ride a bit smoother but that aside, out performs the tomcat by far.
dak_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #5

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
love my tandem hyside. more air=more slapping, less air=more grooving but does get sucked down when surfing, which the boy likes. can't say the pig factor has ever been an issue. Never been in anything else so can't compare to other duckies.
Old 08-17-2009   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak_sunset View Post
I recently upgraded from a tomcat tandem to an outfitter tandem. It does seem to ride a bit smoother but that aside, out performs the tomcat by far.
Could you say a bit more about how the outfitter outperforms to tomcat? That would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOWDEN View Post
...more air=more slapping, less air=more grooving...
I did have the tomcat pretty tight -- that may have contributed -- she described it as "riding a plank."
Old 08-17-2009   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Forget the double duck. You can buy a mini-me for the same price and it's

1. more versitile
2. more fun
3. less gay

You can set it up to row, R2, R3, R1...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote