Another broken paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-02-2010   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Another broken paddle

Geez! Can't seem to keep a good paddle in my hands for any length of time. After a couple AT's I went back to Werner which I started with & had not broken any of... except I did have a Carbon Powerhouse where the whole blade came off the shaft that ended up in a swim but that was a true manufacturer defect where they had sanded down the shaft too much leaving it not tight enough in the ferrule... which Werner did warrantee ....Anyway I replaced it with a Shogun Performance Core instead...I snapped the blade right across the face of the blade yesterday. Was quite surprised because I don't feel I was doing anything too drastic at all.

So what has been you folks experience with longevity on the Shogun???

If Werner doesn't warrantee it which will be doubtful...I am wondering what I'll go to next.

MtnGuyXC

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
why didnt you continue to use the paddle that still hadnt broke.. the powerhouse? how long you been paddlin dude and what were you paddling and how, when they broke? surfing a shallow wave? creeking?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #3

Commercial Paleontology
Because I like the feel & bouyancy of the foam core like the AT's have... but they just wouldn't hold up..I was not breaking there blades but the shaft right below the blade....so I decided to see how a Werner foam core would hold up. I paddle the whole gambit....creeking, river running, play boating...paddle yesterday broke in the Fith Street Wave in GJ.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
lame surfing a wave and it breaks... id say you need something stronger dude. stay away from the at2 superlight go with the origina maybe cut it back 2cm to loose a little power and save some paddle.. to bad you cant get a at made 4 years ago by the originals... hmmm id say powerhouse.. unless you can get a custo woody somewhere might be your best choice strong man
Old 07-02-2010   #5

Hood River, Oregon
AT's are still molded in White Salmon, WA, they are just assembled in SC now, instead of Hood River. I would recommend the new reinforced "Tao" paddle that they are now offering to the public- We originally designed the paddle for just team members that were firing up 60 footers on the regular- but Confluence has decided to go retail with them-

Jesse- Formally of AT
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #6

Bozeman, Montana
wouldnt mind one of those ^^^
Old 07-02-2010   #7

Hood River, Oregon
They have an extra strip of carbon that runs thru the center of the paddle shaft, and really doesn't add more than an once or so to the paddle weight. The strip also makes it a really stiff paddle, so you get a little better initial purchase, which is why you will see a few AT team members using that paddle in races. It is recognizable from a wider kevlar weave on the AT2 Standard paddle, and a higher carbon content.
kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
My Shogun snapped in my hands like a twig shortly after buying it. Admittedly, I was upside down early in Gore Rapid when it happened, but that paddle cost me around $50 per day to use.

All paddles break I guess. Having a backup spare of your favorite paddle in your car, as well as a breakdown paddle in your boat seems to be the only way to do it right.

I went back to my old Waterstick that leaks at the blades and was separating at the join.
After gluing the shaft back together and ignoring the water that enters at the blades now, I am happy as can be.
In the final analysis, this leaking, separating paddle from an out of business maker has held up better than any other, and it has the strongest "draw" of any paddle I have ever used.

I can't find a another zero offset Waterstick Zen anywhere as a backup.
I've been considering an H2O (same designer as Waterstick) for a while. I expect I will buy one of those by next season.
Old 07-03-2010   #9

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
That sucks I have a Shogun. Werner should replace it.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #10

Austin/ Santa Fe, Texas/ New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1982
Werner has always been really good about replacing broken paddles I have produced. My last Sidekick, that I bought used BTW, snapped a blade off playboating. I sent 'em pictures of it that night and they contacted me the next morning to get info on where to send a new paddle, asked that I put the broken one in the box and return. ABSOLUTELY the best customer service I ever experienced. Give em a try.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote