ammo can paint? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2012   #1

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
ammo can paint?

What kind of paint are Buzz folk using to paint ammo cans? And should I paint the inside of the can even if it's in good shape?

meanjoebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjoebean
What kind of paint are Buzz folk using to paint ammo cans? And should I paint the inside of the can even if it's in good shape?
Rattle can it. Its gonna chip anyhow. White is a good color to keep things cool and is visible if something goes for a swim
Old 04-13-2012   #3
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I like power coating. You can usually find power coated boxes at good prices and the coating lasts way longer that rattle can. I like different colors for different things. First aide is white, tools are blue, ect. Most power coated boxes I have are inside and out side coated.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
How much do you pay for your powder coated boxes? And where do you get them?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #5
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Rust Oleum in rattle cans. White. Use colors for marking if you like to color code stuff, I do. That oil based paint adheres better and lasts longer than the cheap water based stuff. Unncessary to paint the inside, That mil spec stuff from the factory is difficult to improve upon. Powder (not power) coating is definitely the best, but spendy. I saw some 50 cal cans recently for something like 30 bucks each. I pay maybe 6 or 8 bucks in Olive Drab.
Peace.
Old 04-13-2012   #6
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
The last ones I got were right here on the buzz in the gear swap. I got 4 and they were $35 each about a year ago. I don't know were you get your cans. but I have never found 50 cals under 10 bones or 20 for that matter. Thats a sweet deal. down river has them at 70 bones. I have looked at down rivers boxes and they look like they never had ammo in them. but I didn't bit.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #7

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I used rust-olum on mine, still looking good after 4 years.

A powder coated 20mm ammo box runs about $78 vs. $28 for olive drab at my local paddle shop. I can buy a lot of spray paint for the $50 difference.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #8

Golden, Colorado
Just got a quote for powder coating.
$20 for sandblasting
$25 for powder coating
add that to $29 for the rocket box and you save $1 over what DRE sells them for. And you have to do them all the same color since there is a $100 min charge per color.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #9
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Blutzki-
General Question regarding Powder Coating
A few years back I had a bunch (40-50 lin ft?) of 2" steel tubing powder coated for a little over a C-note. Based on that, I believe I could get several ammo cans at the same time powder coated for less than the $25, tho this is just a guess. I'm wondering about the sand blasting- is it necessary? I started with new steel tubing, so it was not required. Is it needed on Olive Drab ammo cans?
Old 04-14-2012   #10
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
All paint has to come off. Powder coating needs a bare, scuffed metal surface to adhere to.
I buy the cans for $12 to $25 depending on size and have them done in batches. The coater is a buddy, so I do all the sand blasting and prep. You really have to shake the hell out of them and use a high pressure air hose to get all the sand out. Cans also need extra attention because of all the protrusions and such. Make sure the powder coater takes there time on them.
The seals are the hardest part of powder coating a can. I use a screw driver to pry back the tabs and a wood block to reseat them. I also like to 303 the seals while they are off the box. Take it slow so that the tabs don't get all messed up.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote