Alpacka Forager - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2018   #1

Alpacka Forager

I'm looking for more information on the Alpacka Forager:

I have a 6 year old and would like to have a boat to take him with me on some light duty river trips. My concern though is whether or not it can be paddled like a Kayak- with a double bladed paddle? I have a WW kayaking background. I've also been looking at the Aire Bakraft Expedition but I have concerns about the durability with the Aire.

I know its a relatively new boat but there's not much information on it- if anyone has some thoughts about it I would appreciate if they can be posted up. I want to do some mild whitewater and there's also the possibility of teaming up with a paddling friend to do more intense trips as well- again though I have concerns if its not that feasible to paddle with kayak blades as thats what we are used to and currently have.

Thanks in advance for any info!

bravo647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #2

Los Anchorage, Alaska
I don't have one - but I borrowed one last summer for a trip where I shuttled my 4-year-old daughter and dog back and forth across a lagoon multiple times. I used a long kayak paddle (can't remember what length) and it was fine. The person I borrowed the boat & paddle from uses it for mellow rivers with his 6-year-old & loves it.
wfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018   #3

Newfoundland, Canada
I just received the 2018 Alpacka Forager, and have started using it with my 9 (going on 10) year old son. It seems to handle well with a double blade kayak paddle on relatively flat water. I understand it would be best to have a second paddler for stronger currents or whitewater. Am using the 4-piece aquabound shred apart 240cm, the recommended paddle length for the forager according to alpacka's website. Haven't had a chance yet to test different setups but it seems to track best with another person or ballast up front. I think that is typical for any packraft. I found that it tracked decently with my son up front about 70 lbs. He is learning to paddle, so for now the kayak paddle is necessary. Hope to do some more work with it in the coming weeks, but initial tests alleviated concerns that i might have had about a 3-day paddling trip i was hoping to do with my son next month. I hope this helps!
Nldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018   #4

Thanks for posting this guys!

Any further updates when you have a chance would be appreciated- I still haven't decided yet but the forager seems pretty sweet and I think it would meet what I'm looking for.
bravo647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #5

I just bought one. About to take it on a 12-day float trip with a partner. Will report back (if I remember). Oughta do the trick:
chrisd635 is offline   Reply With Quote