All Terrain T/A's - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2009   #1

Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
All Terrain T/A's

Getting ready to replace my BFG AT tires, 265/70/16s on a 4Runner. I see a lot of these tires at ski areas and at the river so wanted to ask:

Do you change tire pressure from ski season to river season?
How many miles are you getting on a set?
Any decent alternatives to this tire?

southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Buy General Grabber AT2s instead.

As good a tire with the same tread pattern and less expensive. I've had both over the years and prefer the Generals. On average I get another 10K out of them on my Toyota truck. Check out the review at Tire Rack

Poke around the off road sites and you'll see that many prefer them to the BFGs. Run them 5 psi lower than recommended. Most people over inflate their tires. Doubt it? Run a piece of chalk across your tread and check out the wear pattern.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2009   #3
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Check out these: Dick Cepek Radial F-C II

I replaced the BFG AT TA/KO's on my Taco with these. Better grip, longer wear and meaner look.

Don't forget to rotate every few oil changes. I think that's what kills these types of tires in the long run for most people.

Southbound, You can also move up to the 265(10.5) / 75 R16 with no rubbing on your 4run.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Check out these: Dick Cepek Radial F-C II

I replaced the BFG AT TA/KO's on my Taco with these. Better grip, longer wear and meaner look.

Don't forget to rotate every few oil changes. I think that's what kills these types of tires in the long run for most people.

Southbound, You can also move up to the 265(10.5) / 75 R16 with no rubbing on your 4run.
I replaced the 265/70/r16 tires on my third generation 4runner with 265/75/r16 FC II. Essentially going from a 70 to a 75 aspect ratio gives you an inch bigger tire, 32" compared to the factory 31". My spedometer is right on now. The FC II's were good for 40,000 miles but I had cupping issues. My new summer shoes are Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. I run studded snows in the winter.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Dude I thought I was gonna see some all terrain T & A...You ment tires
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #6

castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
the bfg tires are not worth the money you spend on them I am a big fan of Goodyear Wrangler dura trac. It is a great all around tire that has lasted me a long time
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009   #7

Deckers, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have had a couple of sets of wranglers on my work truck for the past few years. They wear a little faster than I would like but they are really puncher resistant. I use them about 75% dirt roads and 25% paved road. Averaged about 16 months and 32,000 miles on them. i would say 50,000 miles is with in reach under more standard driving conditions.

In my Tacoma I get 60,000+ out of the BFGs. But in my personal vehical I spend a little more time on the pavment. I like the BFGs a little better in the snow and the sidewall pattern is a little more agressive which is nice in ruts. They have gotten expensive over the years but they have never really let me down.

Never tried the General ATs I may check them out next time my personal vehicle needs new tires. I had some quality control issues with their mud tires a while back and all my friends called them genital grabbers.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #8

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Buy General Grabber AT2s instead.

As good a tire with the same tread pattern and less expensive. I've had both over the years and prefer the Generals. On average I get another 10K out of them on my Toyota truck. Check out the review at Tire Rack

Poke around the off road sites and you'll see that many prefer them to the BFGs. Run them 5 psi lower than recommended. Most people over inflate their tires. Doubt it? Run a piece of chalk across your tread and check out the wear pattern.

Cheers.
I loved my general AT's on my jeep p/u. they do well in snow and last a long time. mine were still good two years after I bought them(when I totaled my truck) and had no problem getting around denver durring the blizzard of 2003(my truck's 4x4 wasn't working so just had rear wheel drive). next truck I get and need an every day tire I will get the general AT
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote