All-Star or Project X? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2011   #1

Somewhere in the Rockies of Canada., Alberta
Paddling Since: 2008
All-Star or Project X?

Just wanted everyone's opinion on both of the boats. I'm considering buying one of the two. Right now my first impression of the Allstar seems better than the Project X. I haven't tried either of them but I just like the look of the Allstar better. I am sure they're both awesome boats though.

P.S. I have looked at the Rock Star. The sizing for it is either way to small for me or way to big. It's a better choice to have a boat that will fit me.

GnarlyMcMank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011   #2

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
What makes you think the Rock Star won't fit you? It's going to come out (next month) in three sizes and the medium should fit the same size paddler as the All-Star. it's 3 gallons bigger but they say it's actually easier to throw down.. I would suggest checking it out before making the assumption that it won't fit. I'm just a hair over six feet tall and 180 pounds and I've ordered the medium (I might be on the big end.) Very excited to paddle it.

It might be possible to find an All-Star used, but the other two boats are brand spankin' new.

I haven't met a person that didn't love their All-Star though so you can't go wrong with that. It's tried and tested..
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #3

Somewhere in the Rockies of Canada., Alberta
Paddling Since: 2008
I`m around 5,9 and about 150 pounds. I would be on the super low end of the medium boat, and the small would just be... way to small for me. I just think a person my size would have a lot of trouble throwing around 58 gallons.
GnarlyMcMank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011   #4

Nampa, Idaho
If I were your size, I might feel that 58 gallons is too much too. BUT -

They say the weight range starts at 140 pounds. The Jackson website states that moves will be "easier, bigger, and faster" than the All-Star. But after looking at the specs, you certainly are on the smaller end of the medium size.

I have a cross-link All-Star (with sweet cheeks / happy feet) that I am selling used. I'm in Idaho. Private message me if it interests you.

However, you might wait a few weeks and demo the Rock Star..
Old 01-12-2011   #5

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey,favre if Mcmank does not buy the all-star I would love to take it off your hand's been looking for sometime. Can drive to salt lake to pick up?
Old 01-12-2011   #6

Nampa, Idaho
I will let you know soon (friend of mine claims has been swearing he wants it for weeks..) It's a 2010 model, in orange. Seeing how it retails at 1199$ + tax, I will be asking roughly $650.. Good overall condition. But that drive to Salt Lake and the time it takes would be rough. We will talk!
Old 01-12-2011   #7

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Cool,thanks keep me posted I work out of ogden,ut so might be able to time right thanks again.
Old 01-13-2011   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
I just got to sit in the new Project X, and it looks sweet. I have been paddling a 2010 allstar at 5'9" 165. I am super excited to get the Project X with real thigh braces and outfitting! I like the Allstar, it is an amazing playboat, but I am not a fan of the outfitting or the stern. I am excited to have a little more stern on the Project X and a little more volume all around. The rock star looks cool, but the stern looks even smaller now and they haven't fixed the problem with the backband cutting into your side? I do like the raised seat, one less thing to customize to get more leverage!

I fit in both the Project X 48 and 56 comfortably. I like a little bigger boat usually so I am getting the 56, but you will probably want the 48 at 150? I don't really trust the gallon sizing between companies, it never seems to be right. Just from looking at the boats side by side it looks like the Project X 56 is between a superstar and an allstar, and the 48 is between a allstar and a star?

My suggestion is demo them all. We have open pools here in Jackson starting in Feb. to try out all of the new boats. Try to find a demo around you.
Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project