All cold beverage afficionados who boat- you need to buy one of these - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 03-27-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
All cold beverage afficionados who boat- you need to buy one of these

Was at the DRE swap this weekend, and saw these little neoprene donuts that go over your coozie or beer and turn them into a suction cup.

Hit the Upper C this weekend, and these things proved to be the Balls. you can stick a beer sideways on your raft/kayak/smooth surface and it stays there. Once you open said beer, I can't recommend sticking it sideways on anything, but it will hold.

They cost like $4 and is the single greatest boating innovation of the decade. In my worthless opinion... at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120327_091019.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	4463  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012   #2

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I too stumbled across this life changing invention. Sticks to everything, kayak, tubes, belly, butt, anywhere you need your brew.
Old 03-27-2012   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Saw them on a buddies boat on an alberton gorge trip last year & was equally impressed! Doesn't make sense but those things are solid.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012   #4

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
how do I get one of these miraculous inventions?
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Give downriver equipment a call in denver- they are not on the website yet, but they have them in stock. would probably cost next to nothing to ship
Old 03-27-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
oh yeah, and I expect that you will need at least 5 of these things. I fear that these will be like lighters and coozies, they will develop legs and walk into your buddies drybox.

they actually stick too well to a clean boat. I stuck it on the chafing strip, and had to slide it to the edge of the strip to let air in to remove the beer. once they get wet, they really stick. just mellow class III this weekend, but never had a beer slip or spill- even when we carried the boat out.
Old 03-27-2012   #7

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
You can order them from big sky brewing in missoula... Beware that if you drink skinny beers such as keystone or coors light it doesn't form a good seal with the coozy and therefore does not suction
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Skinny beers can work fine too. As you see in the picture, they actually stick without a beer in the coozie (even with the hole in the bottom of the coozie.

The air seal is from the rim of the coozie, so you can even slide your beer in and out of the coozie to drink if you want, and the thing will still stick. maybe on old chewed up coozies you might let some air in a loose suction, but with a newish coozie, the think sticks great. you can also put the donut on the bottom of a beer can and it works just as well.

Granted I have used the thing on one trip only and time will tell how long they last, but right now, I love these things. I am getting a bunch to give out as gifts too!
Old 03-27-2012   #9

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
Skinny beers can work fine too. As you see in the picture, they actually stick without a beer in the coozie (even with the hole in the bottom of the coozie.

The air seal is from the rim of the coozie, so you can even slide your beer in and out of the coozie to drink if you want, and the thing will still stick. maybe on old chewed up coozies you might let some air in a loose suction, but with a newish coozie, the think sticks great. you can also put the donut on the bottom of a beer can and it works just as well.

Granted I have used the thing on one trip only and time will tell how long they last, but right now, I love these things. I am getting a bunch to give out as gifts too!
Sorry but I have to agree with Codycleeve. I had trouble with skinny beers too. Did not hold suction. Maybe yours is different than mine. The whole in the bottom of the coozie releases the suction. I cried a little with my first spill. Still really cool product.
Old 03-27-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
To be fair, I was drinking Bud Lights, and not skinny cans, but you can't argue with the picture, at least when new, they stick with no beer in the coozie at all (and hole in the bottom of coozie)

Since this is just a donut of neoprene, I imagine the difference is in the coozie. on my coozie, the rim causes the suction to stay away from the hole. the rim of this particular coozie is perfectly flat (probably important for a seal), and the foam bottom is raised up from the rim of the coozie (so the rim sticks out and makes the seal)

I imagine that if your coozie isn't constructed that way (certainly none are designed with this product in mind) they wouldn't stick sans beer. I must've just lucked in to a couple coozies that work for this thing.

maybe a piece of duct tape over the coozie hole would help for skinny beers.