Aire tributary 12' - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-24-2011   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Aire tributary 12'

I just had the chance to be with a group of 7 on the Verde in AZ. The flows were between 400-500 when we put on. The Tributary had 4 paddlers and all 7 people's gear. 3 hard boaters. we did it backpacker style. I have an opportunity to pick up the same boat with a frame and 3 oars for about$1000. The frame is a Longhorn NRS. I was wondering if anyone else has this boat and has another frame. I am basically looking for a small raft that I can carry a small amount of gear and do a few days on it. I guide and am used to rowing 16 and 18 foot boats on multi day trip and they ware weighted down with stuff. I mostly kayak, but would love a tiny boat especially for that price. I try to do 3-4 privates a year, with other buddies that have their own rafts. I'm usually the guy that kayaks along and gives the rafters my gear to carry. Do any of you guys have a modifed frame or can recommend a frame that can hold a little more than the longhorn. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Post some pics too if you have this set up please.

topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd assume with a 12' boat you could at least fit a cooler, drybox, room for your feet. You would sit on either the cooler or the drybox. The frame would be the compact outfitter frame if you wanted to stick with NRS with the flexibility to tweak your setup and break down the frame.. In the stern of the boat you would put an everything or barney bag.
Seated on the front cooler/drybox sits your passenger. On a boat that size you would probably only want to support a single passenger for multi-day trips unless you really pack light.

I don't know the dims of the trib but Probably 54" wide frame, 36" wide drybox might fit. Obviously you would want to get measurements of any boat you use.

Or you could go with something narrower for a boat that size like the Puma or Super Puma. Seems like its a popular boat for smaller rivers.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011   #3
"Just Read and Run Baby!"

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
That's a good price for a small raft package, assuming everything is in good shape. You'll need to buy some additional rails to construct a frame to hold some gear but it's a good start. I ran the Verde last Saturday from White Bridge to Beasley. I'm guessing you did Beasley to Gap? I'd be happy to meet with you to help you figure it out.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011   #4

Flagstaff, Arizona
We ran the Beasley to Childs stretch. It was fun. Thanks for the input. Get in touch
Old 01-26-2011   #5

Sedona, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2008
How was the take out at and forest road at Childs?
How did you handle your shuttle?
Zippidy_Dew_Dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Well the raft deal fell through. So i am now looking for another 12' raft to round out the fleet. The forest road to child's was ok. I have a an all wheel drive vw syncro van with 16 inch wheels. It was long about 2 1/2- 3 hours from the time I left beasley until the time I got back to it. Te last section is pretty rocky and bumpy. I would recommend a high clearance vehicle for the take out rig. The other guy that drove me was in a 2 wheel drive car. I didn't pay any attention to it but it was probably a Kia or a chevy cavalier. I was a slow and low. It hit a bunch of rocks and scraped. I would look for something else, maybe like a subaru or a truck. It's always sketchy leaving a rig down there because it is a "party spot". I was all good overall.I'd do it again. Basically for the shuttle we had folks from PHX, vegas and FLG. The FLG folks left in the early morning, the other sets of folks camped near beasley. We all met up at sunrise, dropped gear and me and the other car left to run shuttle. Dropped off a rig and made our way back.
Old 01-27-2011   #7

Sedona, Arizona
Thanks for the trip feedback. I've heard the same thing about it being a 'party place' and that some folks have had issues with rigs left overnight. I'm glad everything worked out for you all.
Zippidy_Dew_Dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #8

Prescott, Arizona
A while back (4-6 months) I looked at an older AIRE Puma in super condition here in Prescott that was for sale. Too small for what I wanted so I passed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still available if you would consider that. It had been used a few times on the Verde as a support boat for kayakers. Seems to me it was a '94 or so, but just in great condition. It's grey with light blue trim areas. Let me know if you'd like me to check and see if it is still available.
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
I would love if you can look into it or send me the details. I mostly kayak but have 3 private San Juan trips coming up this year. Rejected on the Salt, and would love to have my own little rig. I can borrow rafts at any time, but would really like to own my own. Thanks.
I am also looking at those Saturn boats from RMRafts, because the price is so good. Thanks
Old 01-27-2011   #10

Prescott, Arizona
OK - I'll send him an email and see what I can find out (I've got a trip scheduled with him in a few weeks). I'll PM you when I know something.
rising.sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire