Aire Puma frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-30-2011   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Aire Puma frame

I have been thinking about purchasing a raft. I several in mind. I am possibly going to look at an Aire Puma. It's an 11'6 long and 5'6 wide, with an interior width of 29.5. I am looking for a boat to do mostly day trip paddling or overnights. I am just wondering:
1) what kind of cooler would fit in the boat with a frame
2) what kind of frame are people running
If any one has frame ideas, please post them here or even pictures of your Puma loaded.
Thanks
Tony

topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Check out the Super Puma for sale in the SWAP (Dated 1/29/11, I think). I'm currently building a frame for my Super Puma, and it will look similar to that. A Super Puma's about 14 feet long, so your boat probably won't have enough room for that kind of set-up. Measure the flat part of the top of your tubes, that should give you and idea of your frame length. I'd say you'd probably be best having the cockpit in the back, with a drop bag/cooler in front, this will give you and a passenger a place to sit. It's going to be on the smaller side, so figure on a more backpacking style of rafting.
fishpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
make measurements of the length of the flat part of the top of the tubes for length, across from the center of your tubes and call NRS customer service, ask for Clyde and tell him what you want to do.

He helped me design a dynamite frame for my 18 ft Aire Leopard.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011   #4

Springfield, Oregon
Tony,

What kind of rivers will you be running? That will help determine the "best" setup for your situation.

Cheers!
jrice345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
1) What kind of cooler would fit in the boat with a frame.
A small one, but you probably have more important things to carry on an extended trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by topbud View Post
2) What kind of frame are people running? If any one has frame ideas, please post them here or even pictures of your Puma loaded.
Homemade conduit. Cheap and light. Bent corners, removeable crossbars held in place by pipe inserts and straps, padded wood bench seat, bent conduit oar stands. 1/2 inch plywood drop floor supported by straps and edged with foam pipe insulation secured by lacing to prevent the floor from wearing on the tubes.
Old 01-30-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
get wide oar locks

I have a hyside mini max, which is a little smaller than the puma (similar width), and I would recommend something like the nrs oar towers that add a good bit of width to the oar locks placement. otherwise, with the 48" frame width, you end up with really short oars.

here's a sweet little puma setup (scroll down the page)

Alaska Fly Water Guides Reports
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
I would recommend something like the nrs oar towers that add a good bit of width to the oar locks placement. otherwise, with the 48" frame width, you end up with really short oars.
Whoapiglet is right. I forgot to mention that my oarlock are 6 1/2 inches from the frame bent out at 30 degrees from verticle. I have 51 inches between the oarlocks and use very light 7 ft Smoker ash oars. A few more inches between the oarlocks would be nice.
Old 02-10-2011   #8
Nate

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1999
I run a Super Puma, with a Recretec frame and drybox. It fits a 70Q Yeti Sherpa in the front bay, the rower floor in the middle and the drybox to sit on and row from. It's a great late season Middle Fork plat form, and early season Bruneau, we've even run big Hells Canyon in her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Going In.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	3189
Nate@SelwayFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
A small one, but you probably have more important things to carry on an extended trip

Homemade conduit. Cheap and light. Bent corners, removeable crossbars held in place by pipe inserts and straps, padded wood bench seat, bent conduit oar stands. 1/2 inch plywood drop floor supported by straps and edged with foam pipe insulation secured by lacing to prevent the floor from wearing on the tubes.
Any chance you have any pics that show your floor? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
Whoapiglet is right. I forgot to mention that my oarlock are 6 1/2 inches from the frame bent out at 30 degrees from verticle. I have 51 inches between the oarlocks and use very light 7 ft Smoker ash oars. A few more inches between the oarlocks would be nice.
here's a pic of what I have on my Mini Max. It is a 48" frame that is 63" at the oarlocks. Haven't taken her out yet, but I should be able to use 8-8.5' oars comfortably. One nice feature of this setup, is that for solo runs, you just switch the kick bar and the seat bar, so you are balanced in the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0428 - Copy.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	3190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_0421.JPG
Views:	1396
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	3191  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags