Aire Outfitter I Experience? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2012   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Aire Outfitter I Experience?

Anyone have actual experience with this IK? What did you think of its stability in big Class III/IV compared to other IKs? Thanks.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It fills pretty fast. The new Force is where it's at.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Outfitter

I would appreciate if someone wants to share some real world experience, especially for a bigger guy. Not too impressed with the Aire Lynx I have been using the last 2 seasons. Actually thought the Tomcat was more stable compared to the lynx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
Anyone have actual experience with this IK? What did you think of its stability in big Class III/IV compared to other IKs? Thanks.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Few replies

Few replies from actual experience -- maybe they don't sell many of these.
Old 04-01-2012   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I'm sorry, maybe you missed my post. The Aire Outfitter fills pretty fast in big water, so I recommend the new Force, which is the most stable Force yet.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #6

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I'm sorry, maybe you missed my post. The Aire Outfitter fills pretty fast in big water, so I recommend the new Force, which is the most stable Force yet.
Thanks, Randaddy -- The reason I said "few" had responded with actual experience was that I thought your's most likely was. Sorry for any confusion. It still seems like more folks would have responded if this model sold well.
Old 04-03-2012   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Outfitter

Hey Johnnovice,

I noticed this thread died out on you pretty quick so I thought I would chime in with a little insight.

The Outfitter is actually a pretty strong selling boat, but more in the Outfitters market then the private market. We originally designed the Outfitter by the request of Sawtooth Adventure Company (I'm pretty sure they also footed some proto-typing costs...but don't quote me on that). They liked our Lynx, but wanted something more stable, a boat to give their customers a little added confidence, and and design to help keep customers in the kayak and happy. We designed the kayak and showed it off at the trade show for Outfitters (AO) and got a lot of good feed back, hence the name "Outfitter". We liked the final design so much we added it to the standard line up of whitewater kayaks.

On a scale from maneuverability to stability our whitewater kayaks go about like this:
Force, Strike, Lynx, Outfitter, Tomcat (or Tomcat, Outfitter, pretty close to call)

The first year is was out we took the Outfitter I and II up to the Lochsa with us for some big water and it was a riot. I thought I had a good pic of the Outfitter I, but it looks like the best one I have is the Outfitter II going into Lochsa Falls:

I know you were looking for more real world, un-biased opinions, but I hope this background info helps.

Sheena Coles
AIRE marketing manager
Old 04-03-2012   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Sheena, thanks for checking in with some background info, I appreciate it.
Most outfitters I have seen are using Hyside IKs, and with the price of those, I can imagine they would like another top quality, very stable option at a better price point! -- not to mention other design differences between the boats. It would be interesting to hear here from outfitters who have tried your Outfitter and what their experience (and their customers') has been -- but I'm not suggesting you round any up! I would guess that outfitters buy more tandems than singles, but I could be wrong.
For full disclosure: I already own an Outfitter I, but have not had a chance to use it yet more than once in big water -- so I am curious about other's on-water experience.
Thanks again for taking the time to share some info.
Old 05-13-2012   #9

pdx, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I own a Lynx II and an Outfitter I. I have paddled each kayak for two summers and am fairly new to kayaking. I have paddled both on the Deschutes and the White Salmon. The Outfitter has bigger tubes and you sit lower in it which makes it super stable. I really like the Outfitter. Well built and durable.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire