AIRE Ocelot vs. WD 15 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
AIRE Ocelot vs. WD 15

I am wanting to get a small cat for class 3 and 4 day trips and some overnighters, possibly with a passenger. I would also like a boat that could step up to class 5 someday. These two boats have a very similar waterline and weight. Are there any differences besides the obvious(length/rocker/intended use)? Anything I'm missing? Wondering which one I would be happier with...

Thank you

P.S. Sotars are BAD-A, but I have made up my mind to get an AIRE

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wave Destroyer, no question. But get a 14', it will be more maneuverable and friendly when you are stepping it up. A 15' is getting outside of the "small cat" range (they are damn big even though it's only another foot) good if you are doing stomping V and V+, or if you are looking to do the Grand Canyon.

The WD was designed specifically for IV/V.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #3

Boise, Idaho
Thank you for the prompt reply. Would a 14 foot WD be able to carry a passenger, or any substantial amount of gear? I have heard about a lot of balance issues from people on the buzz regarding the short rocker. Also, I have heard Cramer runs the 15 footer. Class V is definitely not my priority, but it might be someday...

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I hope Alphacyber chimes in, as he runs a 14' WD on multi days and Class V. I don't think there are any balance issues. I do multi day trips with 3-4 14' Wave Destroyers, and they do great. Those guys did inspire me to start loading my boat a bit differently, to help me keep my frame more centered for oar/boat response. They/we load a drybag on top of each tube at the front of the frame (watching out for oar clearance obviously). I never would have tried it if it wasn't for boating with those guys doing that. Day trips, multi days, and Alpha even reported on carrying a passenger, I think that's your best bet. Keep in mind Cramer is running V+, and in a lot of stuff like that a bigger boat seems better. Even on the NF Payette many people run the 14' and are happy with it.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #5

Boise, Idaho
Just had a nice post typed up that didn't load, but I will save the rhetoric anyhow and get to the basics. I think the longer waterline of the ocelot could provide more stability overall. There could be some wave-pencil issues, but it has a pretty good curve to avoid most of this.

WD high rocker looks like it might allow front of boat to be pushed up and back and rear allow it to wheelie. klkayaker on youtube has some nice footage of what looks like him running an ocelot down the NF. The boat in front that flips looks like a WD but homeboy on the ocelot punches and dominates. Maybe klkayaker is on here or someone who knows him can attest to what his boat is.

I realize boat 1 runs it sideways a little but I do feel that since the WD turns so fast it may turn/surf when you don't want to and the ocelot might track better. All knowledge is theoretical at this point...

Old 02-19-2011   #6

Groveland, California
Check out the comments below one of his videos, I think someone asks him what kind of boat he is running, pretty sure he says WD. I remember being suprised because the cockpit view of the cat didn't look like it had the shape of the WD.

Just finished up the frame for my cat....first outing in a couple weeks and I can't wait!

Good luck with the purchase!
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
Very interesting on the comments. I looked and sure enough, he says it's a WD 14. Not sure when they made purple, maybe he has some connections. Either way, still can't decide between the ocelot or wd...
Old 02-20-2011   #8

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
You can get a WD in any color. I have an orange one, my gf has a blue one and I have a buddy who has a grey one, as well. Super fun boats!!!
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
Great replies everyone! It sounds like the WD is THE boat. I would also enjoy hearing from anyone who has an ocelot, preferably a new one.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
I am probably gonna get a madcatr frame someday, but I have so many NRS parts I think I'm just going to use those for now. Regarding yokes/crossbars, is 66" a good width for these boats? I have gone over the specs in my head and it seems to be the correct width.

Thanks again

Tags
aire