Aire Lynx I & Outfitter I - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-04-2010   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Aire Lynx I & Outfitter I

Anybody have experience with both of these? Any sense of how they perform differently/same?
Background: I have a Lynx I and have run the Snake River Canyon in Wyoming (south of Jackson, north of Alpine) maybe 15 times, though never at huge water. I tried an Outfitter yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that it turns on a dime (1 stroke = 180 degrees easily) much like the Lynx. That was good -- I was wondering about the Outfitter's maneuverability. It did seem to get pushed around a little more by the waves. However, lately I have been mostly in a tandem Hyside with my GF, so I can't say for sure it was getting pushed around more than the Lynx, but I thought so.
So, I have never flipped in the Lynx I, but flipped yesterday in the Outfitter (in the waves river left of Taco Hole for those of you who might know). Without more experience with the Outfitter, it is hard to say if this was just coincidence and had nothing to do with the boats (could have been a momentary loss of focus, getting too sideways to the waves coming in from the left, not instinctively highsiding, etc.) -- I did expect the Outfitter to be ridiculously stable so I was surprised!
I would love to hear from folks with experience with both boats (any reason for the Outfitter to be more flip prone than the Lynx? -- how would larger tubes effect performance?
Data :
Lynx I, 11 inch tubes, 10'2" x 37", 6.4' waterlin, 32lbs.
Outfitter I, 12.5" tubes, 9'11" x 40", 5.75' waterline, 36lbs.
(Just an aside, one thing I did notice with the Outfitter on the ground is that the side tubes didn't touch the ground -- I could get a flat hand on the ground and slap up to the tube bottom -- maybe there was room for two flat hands -- I am a novice, but this seems like it would contribute to the wider boat being maneuverable -- the side tubes not being as deep in the water as the floor?)
Thanks!

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Regarding other-than-boat-design variables, I did stop (a bit after the swim) and put more air in the floor (so maybe a less-than-tight floor could have contributed)? I know, I know, I need to go out in an Outfitter more than once to get a good feel! In lieu of that right now, I'm wondering what others might think...
Old 10-04-2010   #3

I own both. I like the Lynx for lower water runs (I live in the SouthEast) like Lower Tellico, Sec III, Upper Amicola, etc. It turns on a dime.The Outfitter I like for Bigger Water like The Eel River or Upper Colorado where large lateral waves and afternoon winds can blow the Lynx around and put me off course. The Outfitter also crashes thru waves very nicely. Prior to these boats I owned a Tomcat which is a nice entry level IK. Have you tried out your Lynx on the Hoback River? That is a fun run.
mazmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Nice to hear that you like the Outfitter in big water -- perhaps I did just have an atypical moment yesterday. Not tried the Hoback yet -- on the list for Spring. GF and I did take our 14' touring kayaks from Pacific Creek to Deadman's Bar yesterday morning -- getting a bit boney in spots -- not always clear which line will be best -- but beautiful -- elk bugling, and there is some orange in the aspen this year.
Edited: Teton views are a bit smokey, but I'm spoiled.
Old 10-04-2010   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmoto View Post
I own both. I like the Lynx for lower water runs (I live in the SouthEast) like Lower Tellico, Sec III, Upper Amicola, etc. It turns on a dime.The Outfitter I like for Bigger Water like The Eel River or Upper Colorado where large lateral waves and afternoon winds can blow the Lynx around and put me off course. The Outfitter also crashes thru waves very nicely.
Mazmoto (I guess this question goes for other IK folks, too): do you use a brace much in your IK's or does highsiding work best -- being a novice/beginner, I have not yet learned to brace and wonder if it is an IK skill? I expect for something narrower like the AIRE Force it is a key skill, but how about these wider boats? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010   #6

Good question. I use both. On low water runs here in the S.E. I seem to rely on highsiding more. When out West with plenty of water, bracing seems to be the norm. I am a fairly big guy 6'3 255 so the outfitter was my first choice to upgrade from the Tomcat but I found it was a pain in the ass on some low water runs hence the purchase of the Lynx which I love here in the S.E. If you are running Kahunna or Lunch Counter with an IK your doing pretty good! ( They about knocked the hell out me in a raft!) There is a guy named Lee at the Boat People in Califonia. He is VERY good at answering questions in relation to IK's. I purchased my Lynx from him and got a pretty good deal.
mazmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Hey, Mazmoto (or others), what is your preferred seat position in your Outfitter I?
I noticed in the AIRE 2009 andd 2010 catalogs that the guy in the Outfitter is pretty far forward (feet at bra). That makes sense to me as a good seating position given my (limited) experience (from a more centered seat) that the boat was getting pushed around by waves more than I expected. The Outfitter does present a pretty wide front bottom to the waves -- not only is the Outfitter wider than the Lynx at beam, it gets wider faster.
BTW, I did contact Lee at The Boat Poeple (he was kind enoug to email some thoughts). He said that while the Outfitter is definitely more stable than the Lynx overall, there could be times when the larger tubes/buoyancy of the Outfitter could result in getting launched more by big water. (I'll have to experiment with a more forward seat.)
Be well, all.

Tags
aire