Aire Force IK - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2011   #1

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1990
Aire Force IK

I recently found a great deal on an older model Aire Force IK. It never saw the water and is a 2008. I got a great deal and just snagged it up.

I weigh about 225 and am hoping I will not completely swamp this IK. I have spoken with Aire and it seems they think I would be fine. Maybe a bit more unstable then with a lighter passenger.

Any additional input?

Has anybody turned to IK into a cataraft style boat?

Thanks in advance

Lax71vcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011   #2

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
You can make do with it but I think you are way (weigh) on the high end for it to perform at it's best. I weigh 180 and paddled an XL (actually an Expedition - same thing w/o float bags) and it felt about right. I did carry come extra gear in it and even did a 7 day self support trip. So I had extra capacity. Probably comparable to paddling a 13' hardshell - you can do it just fine but most folks these days wouldn't choose to.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3

Richmond, Virginia
Thanks Mike

Thanks mike, I was looking for some user input especially from those who weigh a bit more like i do. Good to know you were able to do 7 days self supported. I will never do overnights in the Force. Just day trips only. Mainly plan to use it on the local run at low flow.

I understand it won't handle at its best but does that mean it will be more tippy or since I am so heavy will it respond slower in spins and turns.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011   #4

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I used my Force for a self-support trip but trust me, it was way overloaded. I only took it, versus a larger IK, because I usually could roll it. But no way when it was stacked with gear.

I terms of your question my bet, and it's only a bet, is that it will suffer in all respects. Though the general view, especially of folks who don't paddle an IK, is that they are easier than a hard shell, I personally don't think this is true in harder water when you are making high speed ferries and such. You have much less control with just thigh straps and if the upstream edge gets caught it's hard to correct. If your IK is overloaded I think edge control (as if an IK really has an edge) and spinning will be harder. But it's a sporty boat and lots of fun so you may be fine but ideally I think the larger boat would be better for you.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #5

Richmond, Virginia
Thanks again

I really appreciate your input....

Ya I am hoping it isn't too bad... we will see. I have paddled SOT kayaks down this run several times and am hoping that the experience in the force will be as good if not better.

Thanks again for the input....

I agree the XL would have been best... However I got this Force brand new never on the water for Less than $500.00

Couldn't say no... Just hoping and praying I could make it work. Sounds like it may. The only IK I have ever paddled prior was tandem with another paddler and we tipped all the time because they had no previous experience. I started as an OC1 and OC2 Paddler then went to SOT kayaks, then bought an Aire Puma 3 years ago and have loved inflatables ever since.

Having never paddled a solo IK or a Hardshell Kayak I will just convince myself I don't know how good it could be.

Ignorance is Bliss I guess.
Old 01-03-2011   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You're too big for it. You won't enjoy it. I just got $800 selling my used 2009 Force. Hopefully you can make enough to buy an XL. You'll enjoy that boat much more.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire