Aire Cataraft Tubes?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2011   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Aire Cataraft Tubes??

I currently have Aire Jaguarundi tubes, and was hoping to get a little more load capacity, but not give up the ability to have a somewhat nimble cat for day runs. I see the Aire Leopard has 50% higher load capacity for 18' tubes and a 26.5" diameter tube. But how would the Leopard exist as a day run cat? Mostly doing day trips on the Ark with myself and maybe another person or two. Thanks for any info.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011   #2

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've seen a guy run his jag with an IK under the frame for extra load capacity on a gear trip
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #3

Try the Cougar. I love mine. High load capacity, minimal draft and it handles very well.

AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011   #4

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBoater View Post
Try the Cougar. I love mine. High load capacity, minimal draft and it handles very well.

AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats

I like the idea of the Cougar, but the smaller diameter double tube makes my cat wider, and also drops my frame down 6" more inches (which would partially be negated by the tubes staying higher in the water with the same load).

Since the Aire cats are bladder based, wouldn't it be ideally easy to blunt the tips on one? I was thinking get a Leopard and blunt the tips a foot on each side. Won't have much of an effect on the load capacity, and seems it would make for a more similar ride to the Jag now. Ideas?
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #5

vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I like the idea of the Cougar, but the smaller diameter double tube makes my cat wider, and also drops my frame down 6" more inches (which would partially be negated by the tubes staying higher in the water with the same load).

Since the Aire cats are bladder based, wouldn't it be ideally easy to blunt the tips on one? I was thinking get a Leopard and blunt the tips a foot on each side. Won't have much of an effect on the load capacity, and seems it would make for a more similar ride to the Jag now. Ideas?

wider frame and / or narrower bays. trust me you don't want your frame floor near the waterline on a gear trip. Ive seen cougars equipped with the dryboxes atop the tubes, which to me puts the CG dangerously higher in case of some tipping.

I've got an aire lion 16 and got to row a leopard this summer. I think they are pretty similar in load capacity regardless of what Aire states and the leopard would probably handle well on a technical river as long as you can accomodate the extra length in spots you have to turn the boat.
Old 01-16-2011   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
why not go for the 16 lion, same length as your jag and hauls 600 more pound
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I don't know about the Lion, the Leopard is designed more as a performance boat similar to the Jag, (faster curving lower line on the tubes, more kick) and the Lion seems more like a gear hauling tank. Sure the Leopard is longer, and it's hard to envision an 18' boat as a "day run" boat, or using the word "nimble" with it, but I'd bet the Lion is more nimble than the Leopard.

Just a theory while I sit here watching the winter rain, hoping I can find at least one other moron willing to run the Lochsa tomorrow.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #8

Springfield, Oregon
Here in the Pac NW, an 18 ft cat is too big for day trips. Not sure about the Ark. I'd guess it would be like rowing two corks down the river.

My .02 for the Cougar: not a good gear hauler. Narrow between the tubes (i.e. can't accommodate dryboxes or cooler) and when fully loaded (not overloaded), rowed like a dog. A friend flipped twice in the GC due to the high center of gravity. He promptly bought an AIRE 156R upon his return.
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011   #9

vancouver, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt
I don't know about the Lion, the Leopard is designed more as a performance boat similar to the Jag, (faster curving lower line on the tubes, more kick) and the Lion seems more like a gear hauling tank. Sure the Leopard is longer, and it's hard to envision an 18' boat as a "day run" boat, or using the word "nimble" with it, but I'd bet the Lion is more nimble than the Leopard.

Just a theory while I sit here watching the winter rain, hoping I can find at least one other moron willing to run the Lochsa tomorrow.
I've got the lion it is a tank, but like any cat pretty nimble when lightly loaded. The leopard is gonna be truer to the performance of the jag. It probably weighs 30# more and is 2 feet long. Don't know what the ark is like but I would think on a narrow river a narrower frame is more critical than a shorter boat
Old 01-16-2011   #10

vancouver, Washington
I know a lot of people happy with the jag Depending on the age of your boat the new jag might be a much better boat than the older style You might want to invest in lighter gear instead of a larger boat. Ammo cans would be the first thing to shed

Tags
aire, cataraft