Affordable cold weather sleeping bag? - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Affordable cold weather sleeping bag?

I've been scouring the internet looking for reviews on zero degree sleeping bags. I was hoping to get one for under $200 and there are some out there. Does anybody here have any experience with budget zero degree/cold weather bags? Any recommendations or warnings? What bag would you recommend for winter boating that combines warmth with portability?

stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
You get what you pay for concerning sleeping bags.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
It's pretty big and heavy, but this is rafting, not backpacking

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...eping-bag-long
T.O.Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Wiggys out of grand junction. Love my bag. Synthetic.
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Golden, Colorado
OK, that was a BS response.

I have a -20 Mountain Hardware synthetic and a 5 degree Western Mtn rectangular down for winter boating.

Please elaborate. Where are you boating and for how long do you plan to be on the river? It makes a difference which I would take.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Wiggys out of grand junction. Really warm, synthetic, and can be washed after ever use without falling apart.
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Wow, maybe there are low ball options.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
First, for safety's sake look for a Synthetic Bag. It will keep you alive even when wet whereas down will not.

Second of all, don't trust any manufacturers published degree ratings. Look at the fill weight, size and shape to compare. Most Polyester based synthetic insulations used in all but the cheapest bags are plus or minus less than 10% or so of each other by weight of the insulation itself. Some manufacturers obfuscate it with their own names for common insulations.

Then look at shape. Tight Mummy bags are a little less and pack a little tighter. They are better in the 30 Deg. range. Modified Mummy bags have a slightly bigger toe box for comfort and to have more room to stow water bottles to keep them from freezing and some clothes to get into before getting out of the bag.

A Zero degree bag should have a hood which cinches down and draft flaps that cover the inside of the zipper. That will rule out a lot of cheap bags.

So, on Denver Craigslist right now is a North Face -20 Deg. Tundra for $ 180. It is size tall, uses Primaloft insulation, has a Hood, Collar that cinches down, Draft tubes on the zipper, a little larger foot box, is about 4# and packs to 10" X 19" for example. ( No affiliation )

Going for the -20 vs. Zero to account for the lying, the Tall vs. the Regular for the foot storage area and Primaloft for the compressablilty and being one of the highest quality insulations now.

If I had to sleep by a river in real 0 degree weather and had 2 - $100 bills to spend I would look for something like that.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
couple of thoughts,

1) you do get what you pay for with sleeping bags, and having a proper pad to separate you from the ground is a big deal too. You can do things to "cheat" the range a bit, Like using a bivy sack too, but then you start having to deal with moisture build up.

2) if you have an REI near you, and you are a member, and you are willing to wait for a garage sale AND you are willing to be in the front 20 folks in line, you can usually score a pretty good deal on bags... up to 50-65% off, but final sale. you can see why it was returned, (usually hysterical... backpack was too heavy...) and decide if you are willing to drop the hammer. I have always had good luck there

3) Not sure if you have sierra stores near you, but they have crazy cold weather bag deals too, but not sure my level of faith in them. I think you are better off finding a used/deal/garage sale bag name brand, and go with that. It really does suck being cold at night.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
As said before, you get what you pay for and the best product depends on your intended use....

For backpacking and self-support kayak trips I use the REI Magma 10 degree with water resistant goose down and a 3.5" insulated Exped synmat.

For car camping and raft support I prefer a 0 degree Slumberjack Downwind synthetic with a Paco Pad.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag