Affordable cold weather sleeping bag? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2019   #41

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ boater View Post
Anybody have any comments/experience about the Wheeler Lake -20 by Slumberjack. They are offering 40% off at $72. My intended use is car camping at no less than 20 degrees; I'm too big and claustrophobic to feel comfortable in mummy bags.
I agree with others that you get what you pay for, and should not put merit in manufacturer's temperature rating; but surly if my coldest camping is 40 degrees over their 'comfort' rating, it should be Ok? Or am I just a fool trying to go cheap on a sleeping bag?
I have a Slumberjack Ronin 20-degree bag, it is serviceable at 40 to 50 degrees

MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019   #42

evanston, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1968
Forwhatitsworth

I have had a Wiggy bag systen for well over 30 years. Zero bag and over bag. Never used both at same time. As a neophyte and as a passenger on an early June MF, I had NO drybag. We flipped in Velvet. At camp,I hung my bag. Water flowed out.Late afternoon and not much sun.No savoir in sight.I climbed into a very wet bag and shivered as I tried to get comfortable. I warmed up; much like a wetsuit. In the AM, a lot of dampness around me, but bag was semidry. I was comfortable during the night after the initial chill. I do not know if Wiggy still makes claims about a wet bag working;but he used to. They are twice the size of same rated down bag even with major compression. Heresay is that Wiggy is a thousand miles right of rightwing and is opinionated.I have a nice REI compact REI bag for backpacking. I hear Western Mountaineering is great but $$$
eyeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #43

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ boater View Post
Anybody have any comments/experience about the Wheeler Lake -20 by Slumberjack. They are offering 40% off at $72. My intended use is car camping at no less than 20 degrees; I'm too big and claustrophobic to feel comfortable in mummy bags.
I agree with others that you get what you pay for, and should not put merit in manufacturer's temperature rating; but surly if my coldest camping is 40 degrees over their 'comfort' rating, it should be Ok? Or am I just a fool trying to go cheap on a sleeping bag?
I had a Slumberack 5 bag for years. It was good to 30F, so would tend to agree with MNichols that Slumberjack's rating is a "survival" rating...add 25 to get a "comfort" rating.

Seems that would be a reasonable bag for your uses.

I like mummy bags because they pack in about 50% the volume of rectangular bags. Once you learn to move the bag instead of trying to move inside the bag, mummies aren't too bad....but if rect is your preference, I won't argue with you.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019   #44

Half Moon Bay, California
Paddling Since: '82
I have a alps sport mummy bag rated to -20 and I've slept in it to 0degrees and was warm. I had on long johns and a turtleneck to sleep in but I was comfortable. I don't know if it would be warm at -20 but it wasn't that cold. Best part is the bag was less than $100. down side is it takes a big drybag to stuff it in. It is synthetic and I've washed it a few times without it deteriorating. I also have a Black Pine -15 rectangular bag that did keep me warm at -20, it is synthetic and also was less than $100. I don't know what the insulation is called in either bag but it worked. Black Pine is still out there on the internet. Sierratradingpost.com is a good place to look for gear too.
I love the Grand in the winter.

All the best,
ckirrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019   #45

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboat View Post
Heresay is that Wiggy is a thousand miles right of rightwing and is opinionated.

That would be the understatement of the year. Jerry Wigutow (sp?) is his name, comes from NY state, I've met him a couple times when I went to the factory in Junction to get the "Factory Deal" (used to be pretty much anything you wanted sleeping bag wise for $100.00, not sure if that's still in effect). He loves the sound of his own voice, and was always quite pleasant to me and my wife.

He's made me some specialty things in the past, waterproof leg jackets for October Deso trips, oversized muklucks, made a friend an oversized bivvy.

One time I mentioned "waterproof and breathable" and he went on a 15 minute tirade about how breathable would imply that the fabric is alive and actually breathes, he prefers the term vapor permeable, and vehemently states that something can be either waterproof or vapor permeable, but not both. He is most certainly a character...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019   #46

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
Coated down is referring to what all of the companies are doing to down now.
They are coating each individual plume on the molecular level with a polymer that makes the down water resistant. If you swim your bag it is going to still get wet, but for normal use it is much better.

You lose loft i.e thermal qualities from your bag when you sweat during the night. Everyone is different but you can put 1 cup to 1 liter of moisture into your bag each night sleeping.

Over multiple nights without allowing your bag to fully dry during the day you are losing loft and therefore your bag is getting colder.

Dri Down, Down Defender or whatever the brand is calling it will push that moisture out of your bag and not allow the down to absorb it.
Stinginrivers... thank you for explaining, what treated down is after my post above. I completely missed your post, I had my head up my ass and missed your explanation totally.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019   #47

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
The wife and I accidentally slept in 23 degrees this weekend in our Wiggys bags. We both have 0 degree bags. We stayed warm. I had to stop subscribing to Wiggys email posts. The dude has some pent up anger toward the outdoor industry. For a good time check out his posts. Regardless, I am very impressed with his product and will continue to support him and his workers in Grand Junction.
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag