Affordable cold weather sleeping bag? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-23-2019   #31

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I'm sorry to say, there is nothing on the Wiggy's website that would make me want one. They look like cheap bags at a relatively cheap price. Or, a very cheap bag that is overpriced. Next time I'm in GJ I should stop in so that perhaps I don't bad mouth something sight unseen. I recommend that you don't buy one of these until you compare it side by side with a similarly rated bag made by someone like Marmot, Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, North Face, etc, etc.

Saying that the military uses it is not a good recommendation base upon my experience from my boy scout days. Out scout troop was on an Air Force base and we got military hand me (duck feather) down bags. Frooze my ass.
They sucked. The concept seemed to be "disposable". I have no clue what the Army uses now. Hopefully something much better but still likely to be semi-functional at minimal price(disposable).

The picture of a Wiggy's -60/-80F bag was a joke and did not resemble what a Antarctic bag would look like(dual zippers, robust baffles, con-formal but massive hood, etc).

GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019   #32

Plenty of bags in that price/temp range on Sierra Trading Post currently of all different brands.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019   #33

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRon View Post
Next time I'm in GJ I should stop in so that perhaps I don't bad mouth something sight unseen.

Yep, you should definitely take your own advice here.. I will use nothing else after owning one, and I now own 4, and my wife 3... There is nothing cheap about them... Photos don't do them justice... I've owned many different bags, North Face (overpriced), Marmot, slumberjack and none of them come close to the quality, and comfort of a Wiggys IMHO...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2019   #34

Golden, Colorado
I look forward to being pleasantly surprised and a convert concerning Wiggys. Their website photos certainly do not illustrate a product I'd purchase.

I've also been disappointed concerning Big Agnes. They had a system of integrated bag and pad, i.e. slide in a Big Agnes pad and whala, no insulation needed on the bottom of the BA sleeping bag. My first and only use of that system was on a November ascent of Mt Yale camping at timberline. It reinforced my belief of don't buy if you can't test and return. I froze hence I returned the bag to REI. My favorite place to test and buy. Someone earlier said that they were not happy with their Wiggys purchase and they had a very negative response by the owner to being an unsatisfied customer. Not a good thing for someone like me.

Also, it is a good idea to test your winter sleeping system at home in the backyard if you have cold enough nights at home. It can be very bad news to find out on a multi-night adventure that your sleeping bag/pad is not good enough.

As mentioned, without a good pad it is hard in winter to have a good nights sleep. Some BA pads claim to be insulated and i suspect not. I would not use my "insulated" BA pad for anything other than summer time self support. For winter I only trust my 3.5" Camp Rest foam filled or for self support my 700 down filled Exped. BTW, Sierra Trading Post(STP) has 40% off on Exped 700 fill pads.

Concern STP, I checked and the only winter rated bags (sub zero) they had were Kelty and they did not spec out as accurately temp rated.
Old 10-24-2019   #35
All you need is a Whiskey

Glenns Ferry, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart242 View Post
I've been scouring the internet looking for reviews on zero degree sleeping bags. I was hoping to get one for under $200 and there are some out there. Does anybody here have any experience with budget zero degree/cold weather bags? Any recommendations or warnings? What bag would you recommend for winter boating that combines warmth with portability?

If you are looking for something that is cheaper I have used the Army Gortex sleep system. You get 3 parts; a water proof Gortex Liner, a summer sleeping bag, and a winter bag. All of the bags snap together and can be used. I have never heard what the weather rating are, but I have slept out side with the summer bag, a thin fleece blanket, and the gortex liner in the middle of November in the high deserts of Idaho. The first night it snowed, and the next 2 nights the temperature dropped down to 10 degrees. With the 2 bags together I was comfortable.

All three bags do not pack down to the smallest size, if you choose the bags you want and leave the others home you will be just fine. The summer bag and gortex have a smaller stuff sack and pack down pretty well. I am such a fan of the sleep system that I bought one to keep and use on my own. I got mine for 160 online and you can find them at army surplus stores.
CombatMedic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #36

Golden, Colorado
I just want to second the hot tent for your next hardshell kayak trip.

Or clear up your question and you may get an actual useful answer.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #37

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
It would be nice if the OP would come back and clarify what he wants to use the bag for. I feel it's necessary to point out he posted this thread to "kayaking gear".... makes me think he needs something light weight and that packs small.

Hence why I recommended first and foremost the REI Magma 10 degree with the hydrophobic down. I have found it to be comfortable down to 20 degrees without having to wear multiple layers inside it, plus it has 500 grams of 850 fill power goose down that only weighs 1 lb. 14 oz's. and packs down to the size of a large water bottle with the Sea to Summit water proof compression sack. Closer to $300 than $200, but worth it.
Imyers is absolutely right. More info from OP required.

As Imeyers says, no way I could fit my synthetic winter bag in my Katana 10.4 and have room for much else. So if the OP is winter kayak self supporting he'd most likely need to buy a down bag and a down pad.Does he plan to self support on the Grand where he can dry his bag thoroughly most mornings or the Illinois where it might rain every day and never see the sun. Will he have a bivy sack or a solo tent? Etc, etc. As wet as river banks are in winter I suggest both water repellent down and shell but that is likely way out of target price range.

Imyers recommendation on the REI Magma looks excellent. Unfortunately tight mummy bags feel claustrophobic to me.
Old 10-24-2019   #38

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I just want to second the hot tent for your next hardshell kayak trip.

Or clear up your question and you may get an actual useful answer.
I say there, I say there,,, was that a joke?

Yes, OP give us some more specifics.
Old 10-24-2019   #39

Portland, United States
I'll chime in to say I have experience with an older version of THIS BAG from Wiggy's. I have been impressed by its warmth and durability. The design is well thought out and it seems very well constructed.

When I'm next in the market for a new personal sleeping system, I plan to start my search at Wiggy's.
Osmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019   #40

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Wheeler Lake by Slumberjack?

Anybody have any comments/experience about the Wheeler Lake -20 by Slumberjack. They are offering 40% off at $72. My intended use is car camping at no less than 20 degrees; I'm too big and claustrophobic to feel comfortable in mummy bags.
I agree with others that you get what you pay for, and should not put merit in manufacturer's temperature rating; but surly if my coldest camping is 40 degrees over their 'comfort' rating, it should be Ok? Or am I just a fool trying to go cheap on a sleeping bag?
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag