AE StraitEdge1 Vs Sevylor SK100DS - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2010   #1

ipoh, Malaysia
Paddling Since: 2010
AE StraitEdge1 Vs Sevylor SK100DS

Hi All!

I'm interested in buying a whitewater kayak and i have narrowed down to the above 2. Advanced Elements StraitEdge1 and Sevylor SK100DC 1 person.

Any on you have prior experience / knowledge in whether either one of these is better? Thanks

chris

kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to al_ferguson01
I have the Sevylor SK100DC and can say it is a hella-tough boat - for an IK. Lots of fun in Class III and bigger (if you can accept the risks)... doesn't roll worth a crap (or, I can't roll in it worth a crap but I do have a great hardshell roll). I have no experience with the other brand. IKs are a lot of fun. I prefer hardshell but I have both. They are really great for <III+ water, very portable, and for folks that might be just getting started in Kayaking (or don't care to dedicate the time needed to learn the roll). You are interested in just IKs and not Hardshell?
al_ferguson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i have raged my svx100 for three seasons now and have loved every second with it. ive taken it down bigwater and ELF and it responds well to both. ive had to patch it a few times but its held up remarkably well for the shit i bash it down. love the internal floor chamber. you can supposedly roll it with straps but i prefer to swim and self rescue. its tough, sturdy, nimble, folds down small, sets up easy, and is generally very very fun. it is low profile so expect to get wet. the only cons i can think of is it gets overmatched in steep big water (over 60 fpm) and a lack of storage space for overnighters. otherwise, awesome.
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Sevylor IS a fun boat. I have the 1 and 2 person. Both have needed extra glue on the seams for pinhole leaks. Also, I don't care for the proprietary valve. The pump it comes with doesn't last long and it is difficult to adapt something to fit it. The floor requires 7psi which is difficult to acheive without a good seal.

It needs more drain holes for bigger water.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #5

ipoh, Malaysia
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_ferguson01 View Post
I have the Sevylor SK100DC and can say it is a hella-tough boat - for an IK. Lots of fun in Class III and bigger (if you can accept the risks)... doesn't roll worth a crap (or, I can't roll in it worth a crap but I do have a great hardshell roll). I have no experience with the other brand. IKs are a lot of fun. I prefer hardshell but I have both. They are really great for <III+ water, very portable, and for folks that might be just getting started in Kayaking (or don't care to dedicate the time needed to learn the roll). You are interested in just IKs and not Hardshell?

According to some of the guys at where i will be bringing my kayak down, it's not recommended to use a hard shell due to rocks etc. Also aparently it's easier to learn (as a beginner) from an inflatable and lastly for me to purchase an inflatable, logistically will make alot more sense to ship it half way round the world. Appreciate your input though, thanks
kojak is offline   Reply With Quote