Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2011   #1

Marysville, Washington
Paddling Since: 2011
Advice

I am looking to purchase my first Kayak! I've been on the water a couple times in the past. Now I am looking to buy a kayak for rivers, bays on the Puget Sound, and maybe some lower lever rapids. Any suggestions?

It is a goal of mine to paddle some rivers like the Big Horn in the future. I realize I'll need touring kayak for that. But I figured I'd get used to the local water first.

cwentling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
C-Dub: You'll probably come out happier with two boats. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but the needs of a good Puget Sound boat and the needs of a good river boat are at odds. The open water boat benefits from a pointy end, long waterline and a low willingness to spin to help it track and be efficient, but those are very bad things in a river, where blunt ends and a quick spin are valued.

You could go for an in-between like a Remix XP10, but it is kind of a neither here nor there deal.

Think of this in vehicle terms: Whitewater boats are like an off-road truck, with a lift and knobbly tires. (I know those exist in Marysville! ) The open water boat is more like a Mercedes S-Klasse. In their own environments (The mountains above you and Redmond or Bellevue) they do great. But that jacked up truck looks weird in Bellevue, and that S600 won't get very far in the mountains.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #3

Marysville, Washington
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks B! I figured I'd need two eventually. I guess I'm looking for a river boat that will be satisfactory while getting from one river to another through the bay. I'll check out the remix. I've found a crossfire online that looks good. Any other suggestions?
cwentling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I don't know what the Big Horn River is like, but if by low level rapids you mean class I/II- (in a rive that is not narrow and w/o sharp turns necessary), something like a Tsunami 140 will do that and be reasonably OK in Puget Sound I believe (of course given rescue skills/practice). As has been said, two boats would be better. But the Tsunami would get you on the water having some fun and figuring out what direction(s) you want to go with kayaking. (It is often said however that used WW boats are cheap and that you may not need just one, compromise boat.) Just my novice 2 cents -- hopefully you'll hear more.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwentling View Post
I've been on the water a couple times in the past.
It is also often said that you should try before you buy, for such things as fit and match between boat and type of water you want to paddle. And it is also often said that it is helpful to take a lesson or a tour with an outfitter on the water (or type of water) you are thinking of. Of course there is a balance to achieve between over-researching and buying too soon.

You also said something like knowing you would need a touring kayak for the Big Horn River, but.....
I'm not sure what you are saying with that. Do you think a touring kayak is NOT appropriate for what you want to do first (Puget Bays and rivers)? Actualy, I'm not so sure what is meant by a touring kayak -- is that vs. a full on sea kayak (so a 14' x 25" Tsunami 14 would be the tourig type?). Are you saying then you would want a sea kayak for Puget bays and a touring kayak for the Big Horn? I'm not criticising, just trying to understand where you are coming from.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote