Adding foot braces to cat frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-29-2011   #1

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
Adding foot braces to cat frame?

Not sure where to start with this, but I need somewhere to put my feet so that I can row and not hammer my knees with the oars. Frame material is aluminum. The tubing is pretty hefty measuring about 1" ID x 1.25" OD and about .15" wall thickness.

I'm wanting to put some foot braces that are more like pegs, but a bar across would also work. Any ideas on where to look / start?

Mat

i0nized is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
What's the size on this Cat? It looks like this might be used as a fishing Cat? Is this more of a fishing Cat or whitewater Cat, or both? What's up with the line across the front?

If you're going to use it for fishing, I'd suggest foot pegs with an open front. That makes landing your fish easier, but still gives good leverage for running some whitewater. Take a look at the Outcast Fishing Cat frames. If you want to attach the foot pegs in those openings indicated by the arrows, you'll want enough length so that your legs are comfortable.
Good luck. This looks like a great project.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #3

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Same Boat As Me

Hi the frame you have is the same as mine it was built in Oregon . Look at Mine I bought the foot braces. www.canyoninflatables.com they have them made for that boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	feather3big.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	4128
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011   #4

Richmond, Virginia
10' tubes. Frame is 48" wide x 55" long. Primarily used as a fishing cat though I do venture into some class IIIs. Line across the front is for the slow and shallow sections. I use it to clip to my pfd when wading.

Foot pegs would be ideal. I guess I'd either have to find some material that would fit and be long enough and then have it bent. Attachment - I was thinking a drilled hole with a springer clip would work.
Old 10-29-2011   #5

Richmond, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrunr77 View Post
Hi the frame you have is the same as mine it was built in Oregon . Look at Mine I bought the foot braces. www.canyoninflatables.com they have them made for that boat.

Attachment 4128
Sweet! That's the rig alright. I'm the forth owner and had the choice to take the frame with those same tubes or a set of new Jacks Plastic 1019s. I took the new ones

Thanks for the tip on the pegs - I'm on it.
Old 10-29-2011   #6

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
They come pre drilled and bent with 2 spring clips , You will have to drill a hole in your frame on each side, it will come with instructions with the size of the hole and location ( takes about 10 minutes) easy.

Have Fun!
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Looks like you've found your answer.
A couple years ago we saw a group of fisherman in similar boats on the Middle Fork Salmon in September. They had a few rafts & bigger Cats for support. They told us that they had some flips in the bigger rapids, but were having a total blast.
Have fun with that boat. I sure love my 10ft. fishing Cat.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote